World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
World Health Organization (WHO) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (SIAs)
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT104
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One (01) Year
Organization Unit: AFRO Africa Regional Office (AF/RGO) /
AF/IVE Immunization, Vaccines and Emergencies (AF/IVE)
Objectives of the Programme
- The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals
Description of Duties
Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Office Operations Officer, direct supervision of the Technical Officer, IVD Programme Management, the incumbent will provide administrative and finance support to the IVD Programme with a focus on supplementary immunization funds management:-
- Provide support to the Direct Disbursement Mechanism in planning, monitoring and evaluating the campaign funds management system;
- Support in the preparation of project updates and submit activity reports regularly;
- Participate in the regular review and update of the payment guidelines and operating procedures
- Provide sound advice and support to the central team and field offices based on the payment guidelines and established procedures
- Assist in providing finance and administrative support for the office when required
- Participate in preparation of operational budget for payments to SIAs personnel;
- Assist in generation of funds allocation proposals and initiation of financial committal documents in line with established rules and available management tools;
- Verify programme documents and reports from WHO field offices and other partners;
- Performs any other relevant duties
- Completion of secondary education, supplemented by University Degree in Accounting, Management, Finance or related field from a recognized institution.
- Training on project fund management is an advantage.
- A good understanding of the programme requirements and large scale disbursements to several beneficiaries including the logistic requirement for such payments.
- A good knowledge of the workings of the bank and banking environment in Nigeria is important.
- Essential:- At least 8 years of experience preferably in the private financial institutions or NGO, in the areas of Finance, accounting or management.
- Desirable:- Experience in working with bilateral or multilateral International Organizations in the country is an advantage
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/.
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
Application Deadline 2nd March, 2016.