Wiki Loves Africa is a competition to share on Wikipedia the daily practices of people across the continent with each other and the rest of the world.
The theme for the 2015 photo contest will be Wiki Loves Africa Cultural Fashion and Adornment.
The competition scope will be: submissions of media that cover cultural dress and fashion; specifically fashion that is defined by local cultural influences and determines cloth, styles, ways of wrapping and hanging, etc. This theme would include adornment, that include culturally defined jewellery, make-up, hairstyles, cloths and woven materials.
Take part in the contest by taking photographs, video or audio that are related to cultural dress, fashion, jewellery and adornment. Upload them to Wikimedia Commons to enter between the 1st October and 30th November 2015.
- All entries to Wiki Loves Africa will be directly uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (the digital repository of the Wikimedia projects) with the intention of being used to illustrate relevant existing articles or as a basis to begin new articles on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Rule 1 : All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be either self-uploaded or uploaded during a registered mass upload session.
- Rule 2 : Upload is done in October and November 2014 only. But you can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs).
- Rule 3: Any entries with watermarks or signatures embedded on the image or file will not be accepted. All entries will have the following licence: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 (CC-BY-SA 3.0). Read more about the Creative Commons licences here.
- Rule 4 : All eligible pictures will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2015, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process.
Rule 5 : Participants should enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons to be eligible for prizes.
The prizes for the competition are:
- 1st prize: a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 + an Africa-published book + Mystery gifts from the Wikimedia Store + print of the participant winning picture
- 2nd prize: US$300 Amazon gift + an Africa-published book + Mystery gifts from the Wikimedia Store + print of the 2nd prize picture
- 3rd prize: US$200 Amazon gift + an Africa-published book + Mystery gifts from the Wikimedia Store + print of the 3rd prize picture
- Community Prize: US$200 Amazon gift voucher + an Africa-published book + Mystery gifts from the Wikimedia Store + print of the Community Prize
4 steps to enter Wiki Loves Africa
Entering Wiki Loves Africa Cultural Fashion and Adornment is easy! Follow these 4 steps:
- Step 1: Take some photos.
- Step 2: Select the best.
- Step 3: Create an account on Commons to take part. Register here.
- Step 4: Use the Upload Wizard to enter the photographs.
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the 2015 Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition for Africans
Application Deadline: November 30th 2015