United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children.
In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WASH State Consultant – Civil Engineer
VN No.: VN-NGR-59-2015
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for 6 months
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The State Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Consultant will be based in Maiduguri working under the supervision of WASH Specialist & UNICEF Maiduguri Field Office to deliver on the planned WASH results for the emergency interventions being implemented by UNICEF.
Major tasks expected for the above consultancies:
- Provide technical support to UNICEF partners inducing State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation agency, BOSEPA, etc. in program need assessment, planning, draft of proposals, implementation and monitoring of WASH services
- Facilitate and ensure utilization of participatory and community based approaches involving all relevant partners and the IDP communities in WASH emergency related assessments, analysis, planning, monitoring and response
- Facilitate adequate WASH related contingency planning and preparedness for potential significant changes in the nature of the emergency;
- Ensure that sector actors are aware of relevant policy guidelines, technical standards and assist the lead WASH agency/State WASH sector emergency working group to ensure that WASH responses are in line with existing policy guidance, technical standards.
- Facilitate identification of gaps in WASH services provision, draft/recommend update WASH response, transition, or exit strategies as applicable and action plans based on lessons learned from WASH response activities and advocate/lobby implementing humanitarian partners to address the gaps where critical gaps in addressing WASH priorities are identified.
- Facilitate monitoring of WASH interventions and progress against implementation plans with dis-aggregated indicators for adequacy of WASH services in terms of quantity, quality, coverage, etc. and access of disadvantaged and marginalized groups.
- The consultant will particularly technical leadership in the development of cost effective designs, drawings, bits of quantities and construction methodologies for dealing with the water and sanitation facilities, especially informal/ informal camps.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- University Degree in Civil Engineering with a Masters in Water, Sanitary, Public health or related field.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in programme planning, implementation and monitoring preferably in water and sanitation sector.
- Fluency in locally spoken Hausa and Kanuri languages (preferably of Borne, Yobe, or Adamawa state origin).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application, accompanied by updated CV’s in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org Candidate are advised to put the Job Title on the Subject line of their email.
Application Deadline Monday, 28 September, 2015.