The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs. In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Community Worker
Location: Galtimari, Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: The WASH Officer.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Conduct hygiene promotion campaign using door to door and focused group discussion within the IDP host community
- Assist in the selection of beneficiaries for hygiene kits
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about hygiene promotion activities
- Advocate and train community leaders on community hygiene.
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of hygiene promotion activities
- Assist in the planning and distribution of hygiene kits
- Assist in the distribution of relevant IEC materials for hygiene promotion within the community.
- Working closely with water point committees in promoting WASH activities
- Provide daily, weekly and monthly WASH activities reports
- Performs any other duties as requested by NRC Wash Team
- Diploma in Public/Environmental Health, Social Science or Communication
- Knowledge of health problems related to sanitation in emergency situation and appropriate prevention strategies
- Knowledge of how to target various groups and especially vulnerable groups within the affected area.
- Communication skills and a good community mobilizer
- Experience from working with hygiene promotion/communities mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Understanding of tradition beliefs and practices
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion methods targeted at adults and children.
- Understanding of basic health messages and their limitations.
- Knowledge of appropriate use of songs, drama, puppet shows
- Understanding of gender issues
- Must be a resident of Galtimari community.
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Commencement: May 2016
- Contract period: 7 months -31st December, 2016
- Contract Type: Part time (Working Days – 2 days per week)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
- Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates can submit applications in a sealed envelope with candidates’ name and position clearly indicated:
- Application letter must be in candidate’s handwriting
- An updated C.V
- Copies of school certificates.
The Application package should be sent to:
Norwegian Refugee Council,
Plot 08/10, Jimina Street,
Off Damboa Road,
- Please do not send your original certificates.
- To apply at NRC is FREE!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Any application received after the deadline will not be considered.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Application Deadline 30th April, 2016.