Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries.
Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: ICT in Education Advisor
Start Date: ASAP
- To play a key role in the supporting the implementation of VSO’s projects engaged in ICT in Education work. The position is expected to provide support to ICT in Education Projects in Northern Nigeria. This position will be based in Abuja with project related travel to the state of Jigawa, Katsina and Zamfara.
VSO projects span across the following areas:
- Inclusive Education
- ICT In Education
- Use of ICT in Education
- The volunteer will be based either in VSO’s Country Office in Abuja or in its office in Northern Nigeria, and will work with the Colleges of Education in 5-6 Northern States, other project partners, and schools.
The volunteer will have a range of tasks and activities:
- Support in the design of a Needs Assessment for training needs identification of teachers in the area of ICT in Education
- Support the planning, organizing and facilitation of ICT training events to college staff
- Support similar ICT training programmes for other colleges in liaison with the COE and VSO Nigeria
- Support in the design of a Needs Assessment in gap analysis in MIS in schools and skills in teachers
- Support the development of a basic ICT training material relevant for pre-service training of teachers
- Support the development of on-going ICT training programme as a basic requirement for college staff and new intake trainee teachers
Key Performance Indicators
The Key performance indicators of this placement are:
- Number of volunteers and partners who have increased skills in data collection and analysis
- Number of teachers who have increased skills in data collection and analysis
- Number of partners, volunteers and other beneficiaries who are able to write reports, case studies and success/significant change stories.
- Evidences of monitoring and evaluation support to project partners and VSO, through reports and feedbacks.
- Number of beneficiaries reached and supported on the basic education project intervention.
- Number of children who received quality education as a result of the support from the national volunteers
- Number of national volunteers that are able to deliver adequate support to ICT in Education projects
Building and Sustaining working relationships:
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful:
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge:
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change:
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of design and implementation of training programs in relation to using ICT in Education
- Sound general IT technology understanding
- Experience in Project Management
- Good skills in computer maintenance
- Experience in Training on the job
- Experience of training on IT/ICT in Education, especially to teaching and non-teaching staff
- Experience in IT Architecture Development (Technology Architecture and Software Architecture)
- Experience in developing ICT strategies for organizations
- Good report writing skills
- Ability to maintain good working relationship
- Creativity in problem solving & conflict resolution
- Enthusiastic and good team player
- Awareness and sensitivity of cross-cultural settings
- A preparedness to work with limited resources within a challenging environment
- Patience, tolerance and flexibility
- Ability to work independently
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level in IT related subject (however if extensive IT knowledge gained from work experience, BA or B.Sc in any subject can be acceptable)
- ICT Needs Assessment
- Training of Teachers
- Use of ICT in Education – for knowledge management of subjects taught in schools
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th January, 2016.