AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking for suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below to be based at AfricaRice, Ibadan:
Job Title: Abiotic Stress Tolerance Specialist
- The Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) in Abiotic stress tolerance will work in the project titled ‘Unlocking the genetic potential of an orphan crop species, African rice (Oryza glaberrima) for sustainable agriculture in Africa’ funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MAFF) of Japan through the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT).
- Under the supervision of the Rainfed Lowland Breeder, the Abiotic stress tolerance Specialist is expected to contribute to the overall objective of the project – to identify climate-ready germplasm of rice with exploiting the genetic potential of O. glaberrima to enhance tolerance of rice cultivars to two key abiotic stresses namely heat and stagnant flooding.
Specifically, S/he will:
- Establish protocols to screen rice germplasm for abiotic stress tolerance (heat and flooding);
- Develop mapping populations to conduct genetic studies in stress tolerance;
- Publish research findings in refereed journals;
- Contribute to the Center’s capacity strengthening efforts including training of national partners and internal staff, and supervision of degree students and short-term trainees;
- Draft donor reports;
- Identify genes/QTLs associated with the abiotic stress tolerance;
- Assist in screening breeding populations for the abiotic stress tolerance;
- Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the center.
- Education: PhD in Genetics, Breeding, Physiology or related fields
- Work Experience: Experience in abiotic stress research in cereals
- Key Competencies Required: Familiarity with molecular approaches involving DNA, marker, QTL technologies; ability to work in a multicultural setting
- The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited postdoctoral Fellowship.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years.
- The normal retirement age for internationally recruited staff at AfricaRice is 65.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd July, 2016.