The Strengthening Partnerships, Results, and Innovations in Nutrition Globally (SPRING) project focuses on the prevention of stunting and maternal and child anemia in the first 1,000 days. By providing state-of-the-art technical support, SPRING aims to strengthen country efforts to scale up high-impact nutrition practices and policies to improve maternal and child nutrition outcomes.
SPRING is funded by USAID under a five-year cooperative agreement. SPRING’s experienced implementation team consists of experts from JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc., Helen Keller International, The International Food Policy Research Institute, Save the Children, and The Manoff Group.
Job Title: Nutrition Consultant for HIV/AIDS and OVCs
CURRENT STATUS OF ACTIVITY: World Health Organization (WHO) recently issued a national guideline on infant and young child feeding (IYCF) in the context of HIV/AIDS. The project has begun collecting existing local and international materials and training packages related to nutrition and HIV used by the CSOs to be reviewed by the consultant. Additional data gathering and production of a training package suitable for use by the CSOs for the communities they serve will be needed. The completed training package will be used to train a cadre of approximately 125 master trainers from government and CSO staff across five Nigerian states and the package will remain available for the CSOs to use in the future to train additional master trainers.
OBJECTIVES OF CONSULTANCY:
The purpose of this activity is to provide materials and training on nutrition in the context of HIV/AIDS that will cover guidance for working with OVCs aged 0-17 years and relevant information for community volunteers and civil society organizations. The consultant will work closely with SPRING/Home Office technical providers, SPRING/Nigeria staff, and an existing artistic team (a graphic designer and illustrator) to adapt and design a training package that ensures integrity, appropriateness of materials for the Nigerian context and intended audience, and visual consistency with other SPRING/Nigeria products.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONSULTANT:
The consultant will be tasked with leading the adaptation and development of the training materials and assisting with the design and execution of a master training (28 days LOE).
- Review materials already collected from the CSOs and international sources for their ability to be adapted for the target audience in Nigeria.
- Lead pre-testing of the training materials and adapt them as necessary.
- Train 5 SPRING staff as master trainers.
- Locate additional source material as appropriate.
- Collaborate with SPRING and the STEER and WEWE CSOs to lead the development of a training package of a course for 3-5 days.
- Doctor or nurse; or Master’s degree or PHD in public health, nutrition, or related field.
- Familiarity with Anglophone West Africa, particularly Nigeria.
- Experience working with Ministries of Health and Women’s Affairs highlight desirable.
- If international consultant, ability to travel is required.
- Technical knowledge and previous work in the field of nutrition and HIV/AIDS required.
- Experience in developing or adapting training materials/packages.
- Experience in training of trainers.
How to Apply
All qualified and interested applicants must submit a resume and a brief cover letter explaining your qualifications and experience with this type of work to firstname.lastname@example.org
You MUST include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line or your resume will not be reviewed (Nutrition Consultant for HIV/AIDS and OVCs).
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please do not wait to submit your resume!