The University of Uyo is classified by the National Universities Commission (NUC), for funding purposes, as one of the second generation Universities in Nigeria even though it was founded as a Federal University in 1991. On inception, it inherited the two campuses of the former University of Cross River State, which it replaced. The latter was founded in 1983 as a State University. The University currently has twelve faculties. It occupies a Town Campus and its Annexe and a Main Campus which is a few kilometers away from the Town Campus and its Annexe. The University is committed to the development of highest academic standards both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The position will be filled in accordance with the relevant provision of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act No. 11 of 1993 and the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act 2003.
University of Uyo is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- The University Librarian shall be responsible to the Vice- Chancellor for the overall administration of the University Library, branches and extension and for providing library services for the entire University Community.
Qualifications and Experience
- Be professionally qualified and practicing librarians;
- Have contributed to knowledge through research and publications in reputable journals, as well as possess proven records of sound administrative leadership;
- Not be below the rank of a Deputy Librarian, or its equivalent;
- Be computer literate.
- Possess a good honours degree from a recognized University, plus a higher degree (preferably a Ph.D. in Library Science) with at least 15 (fifteen) years of relevant experience, preferably in a University or other institutions of higher learning;
- Be registered with the Librarians Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN) and other relevant professional bodies;
The tenure of the University Librarian, as a Principal Officer of the University, is for five years.
Remuneration and Conditions of Services
The successful applicant will be placed on UASS7, with relevant fringe benefits and will equally enjoy the allowances normally attached to the position of Principal Officers in Nigerian Universities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should should submit 25 (twenty five) copies each of their Applications and Curriculum Vitae, indicating:
- Full names
- Post sought,
- Date and place of birth,
- Previous working experience (giving duration, posts held and salary),
- Details of research work and publications (attach evidence where applicable),
- Extra-curricular activities,
- Names and addresses of 3 (three) Referees, one of whom must be in a position to supply academic, and/or professional reference.
- Permanent home and current contact addresses
- Email addresses,
- Marital status,
- Academic/professional qualifications (attach photocopies of all certificates),
Applications should be addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
University of Uyo,
Akwa Ibom State.
- Applicants are advised to write boldly at the left hand corner of the envelopes containing their applications, the position to which they are responding.
- Referees should also be advised to send their reports, in confidential cover, directly to the Registrar.
Application Deadline 15th February, 2016.