The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Coordinator, Nigeria
Job Id: 3285
Location: West and Central Africa
Post type: Temporary appointment
Duration: 364 days
- Under the overall direction of UNFPA Country Representative, the Humaniatarian Programme Coordinator (HPC) will be responsible for coordinating the development, implementation and managing of humanitarian response programmes in Nigeria.
- The incumbent is expected to ensure that humanitarian response plans are regularly updated to ensure UNFPA’s effective and timely support to the government, as the nations struggles through the humanitarian challenges caused by the Boko Haram conflict.
- The incumbent will also ensure that humanitarian programming is integrated into the Country Office (CO) regular programming processes.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- With UNFPA Representative’s guidance, the HPC will undertake the leadership role for the programme team both at central and field levels.
- The HPC will substantively contribute to the management of UNFPA activities in the areas of reproductive health and prevention and response to gender-based violence.
- Acting as a technical advisor, the HPC will proactively provide the Representative and Deputy Representative with information on programme progress and achieved results of UNFPA- humanitarian programmes implementation, and provides innovative approaches for the synchronization of humanitarian and early recovery/development programme activities.
- Along this role, the HPC will undertake the job tasks and activities in lieu with the regular country programme as per the following:
Programme leadership, strategic direction, coordination and management:
- Liaise with government bodies, NEMA in particular, UN agencies, NGOs and donors to ensure appropriate field coordination and support;
- Actively participate in humanitarian coordination mechanisms in particular in inter-sector working group, and health and protection sector/ clusters meetings.
- Organize strategic planning exercises, and act as a resource person for the development of relevant strategic approaches in addressing priorities, identified gaps/ challenges in the context of the prevailing humanitarian situation in Nigeria;
- Facilitate internal coordination through the Humanitarian Core Group (HCG),
- Coordinate and manage the humanitarian Unit in the Nigeria Country Office in line with the country programme organization strategy for humanitarian action;
- Strengthen the capacity of the country office and partners in emergency preparedness and response for the implementation of the MISP.
- Strengthen and lead the RH area coordination as part of the Health Sector; Participate in Health Sector meetings and activities, and provide updates on RH area as well as contribute to gap/challenges analysis and identify priorities for the Health Sector;
- Oversee humanitarian operations in order to ensure smooth financial management, procurement, logistics, sound budget management, safety and security of personnel and timely reporting;
- Support adoption of results-based programming and problem-solving approaches for an effective programme management, and for efficient program implementation and service delivery along with the establishment of monitoring/evaluation systems;
Partnership, advocacy, and evidence and knowledge development:
- Participate in joint inter-agency/ inter-cluster assessments/ strategic planning relevant to humanitarian response in affected states;;
- Strengthen partnerships for the delivery of SRH programs and GBV prevention and response in conflict-affected areas;
- Ensure evidence-based programming by supporting RH and GBV needs assessments as well as other studies/surveys, such as KAP surveys among crisis affected population including host communities, as well as ongoing monitoring and supportive supervision;
- Lead the preparation of strategic documents, including regular situation reports (sitreps), and documentation of best practices;
- Provide regular briefing to the Representative and Deputy Representative on progress in implementation of UNFPA project.
Resource Management and Mobilization:
- Participate in the development and review of joint planning tools, appeals and project proposals (CERF, Humanitarian Response Plans, etc.) and submit quality periodic and final reports in a timely manner;
- Participate in fundraising effort and resource mobilization for humanitarian programming through approaching bilateral donors in collaboration with the Regional Resource Mobilisation Adviser and UNFPA Headquarters and other UN partners;
- Lead the development and timely submission of period updates, and donor reports on the implementation of UNFPA interventions.
- Participate and contribute to the development process of the Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) and the Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP); and ensure that activities on prevention of, and response to GBV and RH programming are explicitly integrated into the document; and contribute to the mid-year review and year-end review of the HRP under the Health/ Protection Sectors;
- Others: Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced University degree in Medicine/Health sciences, Public Health, International Relations, Demography, Economics or Political Science.
- Knowledge of UNFPA humanitarian Fast Track procedures is an advantage.
- Fluency in English required.
- Experience and knowledge of the humanitarian context in Nigeria is an asset.
- Proficiency in current office software applications;
- 7 years of relevant professional experiences in humanitarian technical assistance, programming and management in reproductive health, public health and gender issues, of which 5 years should be at the international level.
- Values/Guiding Principles/Performance management
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment
- Working in teams
- Communicating information and ideas/Knowledge sharing/ Continuous Learning
- Self-management/Emotional intelligence and Conflict management/Negotiating and resolving disagreements
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization ( Programme)
- Job knowledge/technical expertise
- Leveraging the resources of national governments & partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 6th January, 2016.