United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
United Nations Development Programme is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources National UNV
Post Level: UNV
Type of Contract: UNV
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Deputy Country Director (Operations) and direct supervision of the UNDP Human Resources Associate, the Human Resources NUNV ensures execution of transparent and efficient HR services in the CO.
- The Human Resources NUNV promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports to the maintenance of high staff morale.
- The Human Resources NUNV supervises clerical and support staff of the HR Unit.
- The Human Resources NUNV works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex HR-related issues and information exchange.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Provision of HR services
- Staff performance management and career development
- Conduct of UN-related surveys
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of records and reports with UN rules, regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework.
- Implementation of recruitment processes including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels.
- Preparation of contracts. Timely follow up with Finance staff on Global payroll issues.
- Preparation of submissions to the Compliance Review Panel
- Provision of information on benefits/entitlements to the International Staff and Experts.
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management, control of workloads of the supervised staff.
- Provision of information to the management and staff on strategies, rules and regulations.
- Provides HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the unit in providing background information and maintenance of the related data acting as Secretary of TMRG.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Support the unit in preparing the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in consultation with the Senior Management,
- Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the unit in collecting information and preparation of reports for comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship and place-to-place surveys. Participation in the work of LSSC.
Furthermore, UNV volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
- Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO Human Resource services and success in implementation of HR strategies and policies.
- Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information ensures proper HR services in the CO.
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the UNV assignment such as specific quantification of mobilized volunteers, activities, capacities.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- University degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Human Resources, Business or Public Administration. HR Specialized certification would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of two to six(6) years of professional work experience
- Excellent report writing, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organize and prioritize workload using initiative, coping with stress in harsh, insecure conditions.
- Work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Professional and personal flexibility and adaptability
- To be result oriented.
- Not younger than 25 years
- Fluency in both spoken and written English.
- Good command of one of the UN languages.
- Experience in handling web-based management system
- Proficiency in Standard Computer Software (Word, Excel, Database, PowerPoint, Internet)
Conditions of Service:
- A monthly volunteer living allowance (VLA) intended to cover housing, basic needs and utilities, settling-in-grant (if applicable) Equivalent of one month VLA, for a 12-month assignment if candidate is recruited from outside the duty station, or pro-rated if assignment is shorter than 12 months; life, health, and permanent disability.
- Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th February, 2016.