United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Associate
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level: GS-6
Under the overall guidance of the DCD (Operations) and direct supervisor of the Finance Specialist, the Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Associate can supervise clerical and support staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO, focusing on payment processing, Bank Reconciliation and other Finance related functions as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system
- Accounting. Finance and administrative support
- Global payroll
- CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- CO finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP management projects, follow-up with HQs on ASL for management projects.
- Presentation of researched information for planning and status of financial resources of the CO.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed
- Timely accounts closure
Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by Operations Manager/ Finance Specialist.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in financial management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the CO financial services and success in implementation of operational strategies.
- Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information ensures proper financial processes in the CO.
- Building Partnerships
- Maintaining information and databases
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test required.
- 6 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Knowledge of IPSAS required;
- Fluency in English and the national language of the duty station.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: Please note that instead of a CV you are required to download the: UNDP Personnel History Form (P11)
Application Deadline 8th February, 2016.