The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA State Data Specialist, P-3 (364 days)
Job Number: 501069
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- Under the direct supervision of the Zonal C4D/Polio Specialist, the Borno State Data Specialist is responsible for leading and coordinating the formulation, planning, design, and implementation of the monitoring, evaluation and research plan of the polio communication programme and providing leadership within the State Polio Emergency Operations Centre situation analysis group.
- The Data Specialist will work closely with the State Emergency Operations Centre communication group and Situation Analysis working groups, UNICEF polio communication section and immunization teams to strengthen areas related to immunization and social data utilization and application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and eradicate polio in Nigeria.
- The Borno State Data Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the Zonal C4D/Polio Specialist (Maiduguri) and under the functional guidance of Polio Data Communication Specialist (Abuja), accountable for supporting social data analysis and in particular to strengthen areas related to immunization & social data utilization and application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and eradicate polio in Nigeria within the country programme and linked to the Emergency Operation Centre working group priorities.
- The incumbent will support the management of the VCM network datasets and undertake weekly analysis of the data to inform planning and key reporting documents.
- The Data Specialist will be expected to travel within the State (to assigned states, if required), to conduct regular data quality audits, to support and review functional status of phones (reporting devices) and to provide on-sight support in keeping the VCM registers and reporting tools
- Interact with the state Emergency Operation Centre and state communication working group, WHO Data Officers, STOP Teams, SIA Teams, and UNICEF’s Social Mobilization consultants/personnel for in-depth collection and analysis of polio and routine immunization data.
- Working closely with State Communications Team Lead, the Data Specialist to support the state EOC in data collation, analysis and preparation of regular presentations, that could include, efficient collection and analysis of routine polio pre-campaign and campaign performance data; preparation and support in delivery of routine Polio EOC dashboard and other required reports; Preparation and delivery of specific analyses and reports requested by the State EOC and its strategy, operations and communications committees as required.
- Link social mobilization and EPI data with the presence of WPV/CVDPV cases.
- Provide regular information, data, and specific analyses/reports to the National data team
- Identifying data related capacity needs and facilitate training of the state team.
- Support implementation and oversight of research activities, for example, Harvard Polling, periodic studies etc., and take advantage of the findings of these studies to refine the social data analysis for the assigned state.
- Manage smartphone reporting, trouble shooting, download data and conduct periodic data analysis including fortnightly/monthly performance management data, Activity performance monitoring data, polio campaign data, in-between round activity data, routine immunization data, etc.,
- Conduct quality checks on the data, perform analysis of implementation progress across different initiatives (by pulling reports and analyzing trends and progress made), support in designing decision-making tools for State Communications Team Lead/EOC (using the database and platform to create data visualizations), and maintaining communication of achievement (or lack thereof) with the Senior Staff.
- Conduct regular field based data quality reviews, guide field teams in maintaining data registers and compilation registers
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in the Statistics, Biostatistics, Public Health, and Demography emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research. Knowledge of GIS software, e.g. Health Mapper, ARC View.
- Minimum five years of progressive work experience in data management, monitoring, and evaluation activities in developing countries, with practical experience in data supervision, performance management skills/experience, skills in handling large datasets.
- Fluency in English Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th November, 2016.