The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development.
The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Education Specialist, NOC
Job Number: 501511
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- The Education Specialist will especially provide technical support for the leadership of the provincial Education Clusters in North Eastern Nigeria, ensure state level sector coordination and harmonization, accountable for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of Emergency Education programme(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives in north east of Nigeria.
- Across the Education programme(s), accountable for identifying inequities in education, and for developing innovative approaches and programmes to eliminating these.
- Collaborates across the programme(s) to ensure gender mainstreaming. Ensures that monitoring mechanisms are in place to track progress towards goals and targets in Education.
Programme Planning, Development and Management:
- Enhance effective programme related to emergency and development, sectoral or inter-sectoral planning, development and management by guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input, using gender disaggregated data and analysis.
- Further promote knowledge management by drafting or finalizing sectoral documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action as well as through orientation and training programmes targeted to Government authorities.
- Ensure exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; provides solid technical recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
Rights-Based Projects through Results-Based Approach:
- Promote the quality of rights-based Education programming through participation in the formulation of programme goals, and approaches.
- Bring synergy and added value to sectoral or programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring:
- Takes shared responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches, emphasizing the principles of gender equality and strategies for gender mainstreaming.
Programme Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Ensure programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation, with an emphasis on gender-disaggregated data.
- Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts.
- Ensure the preparation of annual Education sector status reports.
Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals:
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes.
UNICEF and Government Accountability:
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership:
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, help identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve Education programme requirements and objectives.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of the Education projects planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of Education programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
- Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and Institutional capacity building measures to achieve Education programme goals.
- Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Support coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Programme colleagues to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An advanced University Degree in Education, Economics, Psychology, Sociology or other Social Science field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in social development planning and management in education and related areas at the international level, some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with people
- Drive for results
- Leading and supervising
- Deciding and Initiating action
- Applying technical expertise
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Relating and networking
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th December, 2016.