The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – In September 2014 UNICEF began implementing a joint programme with UN Women on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) funded by the European Union (EU). The programme will support the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern Nigerian States namely Adamawa, Gombe and Plateau and selected Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
UNICEF is responsible for implementation of Component 2 of the programme, namely ‘to increase access to reporting mechanisms and protective services for girls and women affected by human rights abuses, including gender based violence, in 3 states of northern Nigeria”. This will entail enhancing avenues for reporting of child rights violation and Gender Based Violence in Plateau and Gombe States, strengthening access to and quality of services for children and women who have experienced violence (including gender based violence (GBV), abuse, neglect and exploitation and strengthening the information management system for collecting data on violations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Immunization Specialist, NO-C
Job Number: 494365
Location: Kaduna, Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- Immunization (EPI) Specialist is accountable for professional leadership in and contribution to the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and administration of the Immunization programme in conjunction with Child Survival and Development, Maternal and Child Health, Health and Nutrition components within the country programme, to achieve the UNICEF’s immunization plus goals and objectives for the country.
- Accountable for ensuring that the UNICEF Immunization programme promotes gender equality, with an emphasis on gender disaggregation, gender disparity identification and gender mainstreaming.
Key Expected Results
- Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and coordination contribute to the Situation Analysis with consistent integration of sex disaggregated data and its periodic update for effective project planning, development and management.
- Quality contributions are made to the development and implementation of the Immunization strategies and approaches through participation and collaboration with internal and external partnership.
- UNICEF and Government accountability is ensured for supply and non-supply assistance and disbursement of programme funds for the sector.
- Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme coordination, information sharing and knowledge networking.
- The most relevant and strategic information is provided to support the Immunization Programme by the effective implementation of integrated child survival monitoring system.
- All required programme reports are timely prepared in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- Emergency preparedness is maintained, and in emergencies, emergency responses with effective coordination are provided.
- Work plan and objectives are strategically established, technical support is effectively provided, and planned results are timely delivered through exercise of strong technical leadership.
- Project implementation progress is monitored and evaluated for adjustment, acceleration and improvement of program delivery and sustainability.
- Gender/sex disaggregated data and inputs relevant to the Immunization Programme provided.
- Technical support is provided to government and NGOs at all stages of the programme cooperation, including capacity building of government personnel and beneficiaries.
- The capacities of Country Office staff are strengthened through effective capacity building programme in the development, implementation and management of the Immunization programme.
- Other assigned duties and responsibilities are effectively performed.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and coordination contribute to the Situation Analysis with consistent integration of sex disaggregated data and its periodic update for effective project planning, development and management:
- Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis by compiling, analysing and evaluating information and providing the technical input.
- Ensures the preparation of the Situation Analysis relative to Immunization (EPI) interventions in the country and its periodic update.
- Prepares sectoral input to the Country Programme Document, and all related documents (e.g., Plan of Operations, Project Plans of Action, Country Programme Summary Sheet, Programme Summary Sheet) of the Immunization programme.
Quality contributions are made to the development and implementation of the Immunization strategies and approaches through participation and collaboration with internal and external partners:
- Collaborates with other UNICEF sectors, particularly Health, Nutrition, HIV and programme communication to ensure integration of the Immunization programme with other sectors.
- Participates with UNICEF, Government, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other partners in the development of the immunization strategies and approaches. Ensures achievement of strategic results in line with agreed Annual and Country Programme objectives and adopts corrective action to meet programme/project objectives.
- Contributes to the identification of new approaches for improving programme delivery with emphasis on project management, evaluation, sustainability of intervention and community participation based on Human Rights framework and cross sector approach to programming and Community Capacity Development.
Work plan and objectives are strategically established, technical support is effectively provided, and planned results are timely delivered through exercise of strong technical leadership:
- As Immunization Specialist, exercises technical leadership for, and participates in, the development of the results-based sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for administration, implementation, monitoring and follow-up of sectoral project activity, consistent with the defined project strategies and approaches.
- Ensures objectives and targets are timely met and achieved, through full coordination between activities, by leading and supporting a team of professional and support staff.
- Meets with national and international agencies overseeing the management of programmes/projects. Participates in meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements, and integration of gender mainstreaming across sectors.
Project implementation progress is monitored and evaluated for adjustment, acceleration and improvement of program delivery and sustainability:
- Undertakes field visits to monitor programmes, as well as participates in periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
- Identifies necessary action for programme adjustments.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to government officials and implementing partners in the planning and management of the Immunization programme and ensure sustainability of interventions.
- Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex disaggregated data.
Technical support is provided to government and NGOs at all stages of the programme cooperation, including capacity building of government personnel and beneficiaries:
- Provides technical support to government and NGOs at the national and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the programmes/projects.
- Identifies training needs; plans, organizes and conducts training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building, sustainability of programme/projects and promotion/expansion of coverage of services.
The capacities of Country Office staff are strengthened through effective capacity building programme in the development, implementation and management of the Immunization Programme:
- Plans and organizes a staff training/development programme to upgrade the capacity of the Country Office staff in the programme development, implementation and management of the Immunization Programme.
- Conducts relevant orientation, workshop, and training and staff learning/development activities.
UNICEF and Government accountability is ensured for supply and non-supply assistance and disbursement of programme funds for the sector:
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring UNICEF and Government partner accountability.
- Certifies disbursements of funds, ensuring those activities are within established plans of action and programme budget allotments.
- Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme coordination, information sharing and knowledge networking:
- Coordinates activities and exchanges information and knowledge with other programmes to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives.
- Participates in establishing effective monitoring, knowledge database/network and reporting systems to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme information/data, and contributes to the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation for the Immunization Programme.
- Maintains close working relationships to establish partnership and collaboration with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation.
- Ensures exchange of knowledge, information, experience and lessons learned.
The most relevant and strategic information is provided to support the Immunization Programme by the effective implementation of the monitoring system:
- In collaboration with monitoring and evaluation and program communication colleagues, conducts accurate and timely monitoring and data collection, and supports an integrated monitoring system.
- Participates in major evaluation exercises, programme mid-term review, annual sector review and preview meetings. Analyses and evaluates data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommends corrective measures as appropriate.
- Ensures the accurate and timely input of project information in the monitoring system, and issues status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
All required programme reports are timely prepared in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures:
- Ensures the timely preparation of annual sector status reports in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- Participates in the preparation of all programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, and annual reports.
Emergency preparedness is maintained, and in emergencies, emergency responses with effective coordination are provided:
- Collaborates in forming emergency preparedness plan relating to the areas of responsibility.
- In case of emergency, participates in monitoring and assessing the nature and extent of the emergency in the assigned area.
- Coordinates and provides assistance to the Country Office in identifying where support is required in terms of immediate response as well as long-term strategy and plan.
Other assigned duties and responsibilities are effectively performed:
- Performs and delivers additional duties and services assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Pediatric Health, Child Development, Child Health, Nutrition, Epidemiology, Public Administration, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines.
- Five years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in planning, programming, implementation monitoring and evaluation of health/Immunization programmes. Professional work experience in a technical expert position related to child survival & health care.
- Field work experience
- Fluency in English and the local language of the duty station.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Building Trust
- Managing Resources
- Team Leadership
- Planning, Setting Standards, and Monitoring Work
Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
- Knowledge of theories and practices in:
- Childhood Immunizations
- Environmental Health
- Health Financing
- Knowledge Management
- Computer software application, including word processing, spreadsheet and corporate software packages
- Child and Maternal Health
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Public Health
- Educational Interventions in Health Care
- Health Education
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies in Health
- Knowledge of global health issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current trends, methods and approaches.
- Policies and strategy to address national and global health issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
- Emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
Knowledge of latest theories, principles, methods and technology in several of the following areas:
- Child, neonatal or maternal health care Immunizations Health system planning and management
- Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Mid-Term Strategic Plan; Millennium Development Goals
- Accelerated Child Survival and Development programme
- Knowledge of one of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes (e.g., primary health care systems, PMTCT, Pediatric AIDS, malaria, WASH).
- UNICEF policies and strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity
- Gender and diversity awareness
- Health Economics and Financing Global Health
- Public Health training material development and conduct of training programme
- Public Health, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Family Health
- Health Research, Biostatistics, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology
- Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care Knowledge Management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for health programmes
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced:
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
- UN security operations and guidelines.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th April, 2016.