The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – In September 2014 UNICEF began implementing a joint programme with UN Women on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) funded by the European Union (EU). The programme will support the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern Nigerian States namely Adamawa, Gombe and Plateau and selected Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Sanitation Financing Consultant, (P3)
Job Number: 494607
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The purpose of this assignment is to document existing and potential rural sanitation financing landscape and provide technical support in development and operationalization of a sanitation financing basket fund in support of the FGN/UNICEF WASH programme in the country.
- More specifically the consultant will work towards defining the contours and developing the strategy for Sanitation Financing in Nigeria, also considering, key elements from the FGN-UNICEF Sanitation Marketing approach.
- The consultant will provide technical leadership to conduct the assignment including leading discussions with Government partners, financial institutions and stakeholders for engagement and also to identify possibilities, modalities of partnership and share the learnings with the key players through a national workshop.
- The consultant will scope the available and potential options for sanitation financing and suggest pathways to engage with Government institutions, programs and private financial institutions to establish easier to access specialized rural financing mechanisms in support of promoting uptake of sanitation in rural Nigeria.
- In doing so, the consultant will review existing financing institutions, their mandates, products and portfolios in WASH and other similar sectors (e.g. Agriculture) and identify possible collaboration areas.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Mapping and stocktaking of the financial institutions, organizations and partners in Nigeria and the UNICEF operation areas, involved in provision of credit to rural customers and financing rural development in general (e.g. Agriculture) and rural sanitation in particular;
- Conduct field visits to UNICEF operations in the six states to meet with Community Groups/WASH Committees (WASHCOMs) /Sanitation entrepreneurs/suppliers to understand their credit requirements/perceptions/limitations etc.(On average three days per state)
- Develop a business case for encouraging and channeling investments in the sanitation sector based on the available sanitation marketing study, data gathered during field visits, and estimated rural sanitation market size
- Engage at country level/ states with:
- Financial institutions such as the Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN), Nigeria Incentive-Based Risk Sharing system for Agricultural lending (NIRSAL), commercial banks (such as Zenith Bank), cooperatives, industry (such as DANGOTE-largest Cement Producer in Nigeria), NGOs, other MFIs, Microcredit banks and other small scale institutions to identify potential collaborators and possible areas of collaboration;
- Government partners (Ministry of planning and finance, water resources, etc.) for scoping the options for integrating sanitation financing solutions into the existing government programs and vision;
- International development partners (UN System, World Bank, African Development Bank, DFID, EU, etc.) to scope their outlook on financing options for sanitation sector;
- Develop draft feasible financing options for promoting sanitation entrepreneurs, and supporting households’ toilet construction and share them along with key findings through a national level workshop to create a buy-in to support sanitation financing.
- Assist UNICEF, through one on one or group consultations/mini workshops (two at the national level) in advocating with and liaising with key players, facilitating partnerships with key collaborators (e.g. government, International Development Partners and Banks, Cooperatives, commercial banks, Private Sector CSR etc.) in order to operationalize rural sanitation financing portfolio in Nigeria.
- Final report on way forward for improving access to financing for rural sanitation promotion in Nigeria.
- Advanced degree in business studies, marketing, economics, civil engineering, social sciences and or related discipline.
- Experience working across multiple sectors related to the design and implementation of development and social protection policies as well as in conditional cash transfer programs.
- Proven and excellent analytical skills, writing ability, and written and oral communications skills in English)
- Experience in leading/working with a technical team in similar assignments and capturing their suggested recommendations.
- Willingness to be a part of, and closely work with a government personnel/staff and institutions.
- Diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise working in the area of financing, supply chain investments, water, sanitation and hygiene issues with multi country experience
- At least 5 years’ progressive professional experience in development financing and working with financial institutions at both large scale and small scale
- Experience of conducting qualitative and quantitative studies in development financing. Experience in financing approaches and result based management would be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th April, 2016