The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – In September 2014 UNICEF began implementing a joint programme with UN Women on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) funded by the European Union (EU). The programme will support the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern Nigerian States namely Adamawa, Gombe and Plateau and selected Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Documentation Consultant for WASH, (P-4)
Job Number: 494606
Duration: 4 months
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of the Consultancy
- FGN/UNICEF WASH programme has consistently been the flagship for rural water supply, sanitation and hygiene interventions in the country over the years with generous funding from EU and UK Aid.
- This includes documenting successful approaches/ processes, innovations & best practices, failures and lessons from the field.
- The WASH experiences to be documented will add to the existing knowledge base in the sector which will be disseminated within the country to all relevant stakeholders both at national and sub-national levels and also shared during international sector events such as AfricaSan, Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) meeting, etc. thereby contributing to global experience.
- The programme which is being implemented at national and in all the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory has generated a lot of experiences which are presently being used by all sector players in scaling up WASH delivery in the country.
- The main purpose of this assignment is to support UNICEF WASH Section to identify and document experiences on WASH programme implementation in the country.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
Under the overall supervision of Chief of WASH and in close coordination with UNICEF National office and Field office colleagues, the key assignments for this consultancy include the following:
- Desk review of all relevant WASH documents including annual reports, donor reports, and existing case studies to have an overview of WASH programme implementation and achievements in the country.
- Conduct field visit to at least 4 States among the states of Katsina, Osun, Anambra, Cross River, Jigawa, Bauchi and Akwa Ibom for documentation of experiences and innovations in WASH programme implementation.
- Based on the outcome of the field visits, prepare at least 4 new case studies on different thematic areas of WASH programme implementation to be published. The case studies will be as per the template included in Annex-1
- Review/Finalize the draft case studies (3 nos.) already developed by the WASH section in 2015.
- Based on the desk review and in consultation with UNICEF WASH team and government partners, identify programmatic thematic areas for documentation. This would cover some of the key areas of WASH programme implementation such as; Community management of WASH programme; Water Supply, CLTS, Handwashing, Monitoring and Reporting system, Accountability in WASH, School WASH, Gender and Equity.
- All the 7 case studies should be edited and made ready for publication.
- The consultant is also expected to advice on additional areas for further documentation based on the findings from field visits and interaction with WASH sector staff and government partners; and understanding of WASH programme delivery in the country.
- Advanced University degree in Mass Communication, Social Sciences, Public health, Sanitary Engineering, Environmental Engineering or related technical field.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Previous work experience with UNICEF and in Africa would be an added advantage.
- Ten years of relevant experience in documentation, publication of journals/newsletter and media communication. Presentation of previous documentation work will be required.
- Good communications, analytical and writing skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th April, 2016