The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development.
The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication for Development Specialist, P- 4
Job Number: 495768
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Under the guidance of the Chief, Communication for Development, Abuja the staff member will support the strategic development of the field office’s inputs to the polio eradication programme, specifically the coordination and field support to the scale up of the Volunteer Community Mobilizer Network across the high risk states.
- This will involve providing technical and managerial support to the field offices in planning, implementation, training and monitoring of key interventions for eradication of Polio through the VCM network in particular as part of the Intensified Ward Communications Strategy.
Key Expected Results
Establish and maintain regular contact with zonal and state teams and partners through frequent consultation and field visits:
- Monitor program implementation, help in solving problems and promote implementation of the set of interventions for the Volunteer Community Mobilizer Network and intensified communication initiatives for polio eradication in the high risk areas.
Collaborate with zonal and field staff to identify interventions and social mobilization and program communication activities necessary for improved implementation of polio eradication initiatives based on the available data:
- Provide technical assistance and support to a team of professionals and through them support implementing authorities in effective implementation of identified and agreed activities in the highest risk states.
- Support in developing social mobilization activities focusing on the hard to reach and underserved groups.
Coordinate and liaise with various partners, including Government, WHO, NGOs etc on social mobilization activities:
- Support the development of adequate management information system for all the social mobilization activities.
- Promote intensive and innovative activities in high risk LGAs to bring about increase in coverage during the campaigns.
- Lead the development of effective, innovative training methodologies for field workers of the VCM-net, including refresher trainings and orientation of new field staff together with the zonal office teams.
Coordinate program evaluation efforts ensuring timely review on course corrections and of current program strategies:
- Ensure preparation of all program reports required for technical meetings and donor reports.
- Facilitate in developing and make effective use of program monitoring systems ensuring that information generated leads to decisions to improve project performance and feedback to the field staff.
- Update SOPs of field staff as and when required.
- Coordinate with zonal offices and third party Company to ensure timely payment of consultants.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Minimum eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Polio experience preferred. Experience in development communication in the UP context also preferred. Experience in coordination of a multi-stakeholder process.
- Demonstrated skills in negotiations with government officials.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language (IP).
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and supervising
- Relating and networking
- Deciding and Initiating action
- Applying technical expertise
- Formulating strategies and concepts
The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th May, 2016.