If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Job Title: Administrative Services Specialist
Purpose of the Position:
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Operations, Nigeria Country Office, and being the manager and specialist of administrative management services, the incumbent is accountable for provision of managerial leadership and policy guidance for achievement of effective administrative service management and staff capacity development. Collaborates with Operations management to oversee efficient administrative operations in support of the Office and country programmes. Ensures the office’s administrative operations and services are effectively in compliance with the organization’s administrative policy, procedures, rules and regulations.
Key Expected Results:
- Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of administrative policy and procedures are timely implemented to support operations at the country and sub-country levels.
- The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered, monitored and controlled in the area of administrative management and services.
- Supervision and leadership in management and operations of delivery and improvement in administrative support services are timely and effectively provided, and security arrangements are well established for enhanced safety and security.
- Property management of administrative supplies, office equipment, vehicles and other properties is effectively performed.
- All administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts satisfy the requirements as stipulated and are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Staff capacity is enhanced through organized staff learning/development programmes in the area of administrative management and services.
- Effective working relations are maintained with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners.
- Any other assigned administrative management responsibilities and services are effectively carried out and delivered.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks:
1. Policy, procedures and strategies:
- As technical specialist and manager, accountable for the correct and consistent application of policies and procedures in the management of administrative functions through the provision of technical leadership, guidance and support to the country office and sub-offices where applicable.
- Makes viable recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, and resolution of sensitive issues, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Keeps the supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, and identifies and recommends solutions.
- Prepares reports on administrative matters.
- Provides administrative support and services to country and sub-country offices where applicable, including preparation and funding of service contracts, preparations of PGMs for all administrative supplies.
- Undertakes missions to field locations to review administrative arrangements and makes appropriate recommendations as required.
- Contributes to global, regional and country strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on administrative matters as necessary. Provides technical input to the establishment of administrative guidelines in close coordination with the head of office, Chief of Operations and DFAM.
- Advises the head of the office and updates staff on administrative policies, procedures rules and regulations, providing technical advice, guidelines and administrative support. Implements the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and manages all staff official travels to ensure efficiency and prompt accountability of staff official travels in accordance with UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Briefs and assists arriving and departing staff on administrative procedures and requirements.
- Liaises with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions to support policy reform in the area of administrative service management; advises on the applicability of new policy directives at the country level.
2. Budget management:
- Monitors the budget in close coordination with the Chief of Operations to ensure that objectives stipulated early in the fiscal year are realized for smooth operation of the country office/sub offices, where applicable.
- Recommends and prepares estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes.
- Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of administrative services.
- Prepares monitors and controls the administrative budget.
3. Administrative support and services:
- Ensures timely and effective delivery and improvement in administrative support and office services for enhanced quality, efficiency and cost effectiveness, including space management, transport services, vehicle use and maintenance, equipment, conference and travel arrangements, document reproduction, communications, mail and delivery services, local procurement and bill payments of utilities.
- Supports the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team’s approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Negotiates and supervises matters relating to office premises, utilities and services with vendors /agencies.
- Ensures the timely and cost-effective provision of basic offices services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity.
4. Property management:
- Manages properties of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board and ensuring follow-up action.
- Prepares Property Survey Board submissions for the Senior Operations Officer; prepares minutes of meetings and assists the Senior Operations Officer in executing PSB recommendations approved by the Head of Office.
Supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies.
- Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
5. Contract arrangement and control:
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Proposes to supervisor any changes that may be required.
- Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
- Reviews all contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of services.
6. Staff learning and development:
- Develops training programmes to enhance effective performance and efficiency in administrative service management.
- Implements staff learning and development programme activities for capacity building.
- Conducts workshops for staff competency building, staff learning and development and career development.
- Provides coaching and counseling to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
7. Partnership, coordination and collaboration :
- Facilitates and maintains effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to administrative matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services and premises agenda, etc.).
- Coordinates field emergency services.
8. Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required:
- Ensure to provide quality services to the beneficiaries in a timely and cost effective manner in performing additional duties and responsibilities assigned in conformance with the policy, standards, rules and regulations.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
- Advanced University Degree in Social Sciences, Business Management, Administration, Finance, or any other relevant field of discipline.
- Five years of relevant professional work experience.
- Both national and International work experience in office management, administration, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply or any other relevant function.
- Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Planning and Organizing
Specific Technical Knowledge Required:
- Specialized knowledge to perform the administrative service management functions of the job at competent level. (UNICEF administrative, accounts/finance, HR, budget, and supply manuals and instructions.)
- Security Handbook.
- UNICEF Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP) as it relates to administrative service management.
Common Technical Knowledge Required:
- Principles of office management, operations management, programme management and administration.
- Administrative service management’s goals, visions, positions, policies, and strategies
- Information and Communication Technology administration.
- Supply operations, logistics and purchasing administration.
- Rights-based and Results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
- UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies, approaches and procedures.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced:
- UN policies and strategy to address issues in harmonization of administrative service management and operations in the common system.
- UNICEF positions about UN common approaches to administrative service management and operations issues.
- UN security guidelines.
- Government regulations and laws in the locality pertinent to administrative service management and operations
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
How to Apply
Click here to apply
Closing Date 12 Apr 2016
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.