- Location Abuja
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Job Title: Senior Technical Director – Health, Nigeria
Building local promise in Nigeria since 2005, Pact has worked as a partner of the Federal Government of Nigeria, civil society, private sector, and communities to improve access to health services and foster capacity development for local ownership of development and long-term sustainability. Pact’s work in Nigeria has focused on supporting partners to advocate for better service delivery and improved governance systems, better response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic and maternal and child health issues, strengthen civil society, and increase civil society and government linkages. By leading with Pact’s proven capacity development approaches and tools, Pact has seen Nigerian civil society organizations improve their capacity, strengthen partnerships with each other, government, and the private sector, and deliver high quality health services in communities across Nigeria. Pact’s portfolio of work currently includes funding for health programming from USAID, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Chevron.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Senior Technical Director- Health:
Will provide overall technical leadership and expertise for the health portfolio of Pact Nigeria projects in maternal newborn and child health (MNCH), management of childhood diseases, HIV/AIDS, and other emerging health areas, with a particular focus on community and health systems strengthening. S/he will directly oversee the technical implementation of designated health programs/projects and ensure quality health programming that reflects best available evidence, with emphasis on measurable outcomes using data and best practices. S/he will foster integration, synergy and cross-learning among all the various programs, and provide technical guidance and quality assurance in the development/adaptation and implementation of practical tools, training curricula and guidelines for improving delivery and/or access to health interventions
The successful candidate will also be responsible for the timely and effective implementation of all health programs in Nigeria through mentoring and oversight of individual Project Directors. Overall responsibilities include: programmatic management; technical and team management oversight; and oversight of programmatic and financial management and reporting of all health projects. S/he will support the Country Director in representing Pact’s work with the donor community and other stakeholders in the region. S/he directly supervises 2 or more Project Directors.
The Senior. Technical Director will provide guidance to project staff to enable them to strengthen the capacity of staff of state and non-state partners and institutions in quality health programming. S/He will collaborate with key stakeholders in the entire health system to develop innovative technical strategies, tools and systems to strengthen health systems at the state and LGA levels.
Technical and Management oversight of health projects–85%
• Provide technical and management support to all Pact Nigeria projects, including through direct supervision of 2 or more Project Directors.
• Identify, develop/adapt and integrate evidence-based tools, approaches and best practices to improve project performance and ensure achievement of expected results in health.
• Introduce quality assurance standards and guidelines for the design and implementation of health interventions, and contribute to quality improvement approaches at community and/or facility levels to maximize program impact.
• Support capacity building interventions to develop the capacity of state and non-state partners to increase the quality of services that they provide and to ensure integration between facility and community health services.
• Conduct regular technical supervision and monitoring visits to project implementation sites, ascertain progress, identify delays and problems if any and recommend solutions.
• Support the Project Directors in coordinating the timely deployment of financial and human resources across all support departments for program success and attainment of desired results/indicators.
• Oversee the overall program management cycle (planning to evaluation), ensuring that projects and programs are delivered to the highest quality and meet Pact and Donor standards and requirements.
• Ensure that proper program monitoring and evaluation systems are in place. Analyze project M&E data and work together with Project Directors and relevant technical staff to track and present progress made toward reaching project objectives and targets and make adjustments as needed to respond to the realities in the field.
• Ensure that all project deliverables, program reports and technical documentation are met in a high quality, cost effective and timely fashion.
• Provide oversight with the design and implementation of activities with partners, beneficiary groups and other stakeholders;
• Regularly report on project status to the Country Director and Pact DC portfolio team
• Develop synergies among all Pact programs, and ensure linkages between the Programs, MERL, Capacity Development, Grants, Operations, and Finance teams.
Leadership, Coordination and New Business Development – 15%
• Actively participate and leader within the Senior Management Team.
• Support the Country Director as requested with country-level and organization wide initiatives.
• Ensure strong cooperation and collaboration with partners, donors, government, and other key stakeholders as a base for building/maintaining/expanding a sustainable and technically sound country program. Participate actively in technical meetings and national working groups/task forces.
• Coordination with appropriate external stakeholders in all aspects of project planning, monitoring, and implementation;
• Contribute to proposal development efforts in cooperation with the Country Director and Opportunity Development.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in public health, health policy, health economics, or related field
• Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in providing technical leadership and support to health focused project staff
• Technical knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following health areas: MNCH, FP/RH, HIV/AIDS (especially PMTCT), clinical services/quality improvement, HSS
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including producing program reports and regular project briefs, and the ability to effectively present complex ideas to diverse audiences
• Experience managing large scale and complex, multi-partner health programs, especially in conflict and post-conflict environments;
• Experience providing technical assistance to government agencies (preferred), and local NGOs
• Demonstrated skills and experience in health program design, and work planning;
• Fluent English language skills, both written and spoken; knowledge of local Nigerian languages a plus
• Willingness to travel within Nigeria.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and design of health activities , including facilitating
• the development, management and implementation of work plans for all health components and/or health focus projects.
• Ability to problem-solve complex issues and advanced negotiating and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to multitask with ease and grace, balancing and adapting to frequently changing priorities
• Coaching and mentoring project State and LGA staff in ensuring that standards are maintained in implementation of quality work plan activities
• General understanding of development challenges and operating environments
• Proficiency in managing budgets
Leadership & People Management
• Experience in supervising staff, including effective delegation and/or task/role assignment and providing honest feedback and accountability for performance
• Ability to mentor others and model successful management techniques and approaches
• Strong interpersonal and team building skills
• Ability to focus and achieve results