British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging marketplace.
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility expected of global consumer brands.
If you have the talent and motivation to help us succeed you’ll find we are equally committed to helping you reach your full potential too.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Tax Specialist West African Market
Job number: 8700BR
Appointment Type: Permanent
- To manage BAT affiliates tax affairs in West Africa Markets
- To optimise the BAT affiliates tax opportunities including strategies for business growth and expansion while ensuring compliance with tax regulations to prevent risks of default.
- Tax budgets for company plan and business reviews.
- Tax disclosures in Financial Statements and Group reporting.
- Review of all BAT projects and contracts in West African Markets for compliance with all tax rules and regulations.
- Tax parameters for company payroll and review of payroll tax reports to ensure accuracy.
- Monthly tax statistics (contribution to government revenue) for social reports to stakeholders.
- Oversee preparation and filing of all monthly and annual tax liabilities of BAT affiliates to respective revenue authorities.
- Keep abreast of changes in all aspects of the laws and regulation of taxes in West African Markets, as it affects the business.
- Responsible for the management of tax records of BAT affiliates in West Africa Markets.
- Responsible for advising, setting and implementing tax strategies across the business and ensuring optimal capital efficiency.
- Ensure BAT employees’ awareness of tax laws and regulatory changes as it affects their respective functions to ensure accuracy of tax accounting
- Ensure timely payment of all taxes to the appropriate Tax Authorities to avoid sanctions.
- Obtain high value tax related services at competitive fees from external Consultants.
- Actively build the company’s reputation and relationship with the Tax Authorities to reduce friction.
- Communicate developments and changes in tax rules to all employees to manage expectations.
- Manage the withholding and Value Added tax affairs with all suppliers as they affect our contractual obligations.
- Ensure maximum value obtained from good working relationships with external advisors and supporters. Identify tax-planning opportunities and appropriately develop and implement the operating strategies to expand the business
- Respond to enquiries across BAT group as it affects taxation in West African Markets
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of tax reporting, including internal forecast updates, Group reporting requirements, and annual budgeting exercises.
- Ensure efficient reporting of fixed assets to optimise tax benefits
- Minimise the present value of all tax payments without exposing the company to risks.
- Ensure prompt resolution of queries and matters arising from the reviews and queries of tax agencies.
- Provide substantive defence for BAT affiliates in West African Markets in investigation and tax audit instances.
- Efficiently manage the effective tax rate of BAT affiliates in West African Markets.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to manage BAT’s reputation
- Engage in cross-functional projects and activities to provide tax insights to other functions of the company
- Build and maintain trust of subordinates to serve as a conduit for bottom-up communication and feedback to management
- Actively manage career within BAT, taking responsibility for seeking opportunities for development and growth within the company
- Develop and implement initiatives that will strengthen internal and external relationships
- Develop and manage individual relationships with the Finance Leadership Team (FLT)
- Provide coaching to colleagues within and outside the team to aid their development
- Develop relationships with individuals and teams to reinforce credibility in communication received and conveyed
- Become the recognised point of contact for tax purposes by providing support to other functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Over 5 years experience as a tax specialist, preferably from a major accounting firm.
- Very knowledgeable on the local tax dynamics and understands the implications on company business objectives.
- Ability to translate and align taxation activities to the company vision
- Understands company business environment and risks
- Preferably a Chartered Tax Practitioner
- Fluency in French and English
- Innovative and influencing skills
- Chartered Accountant
- Good coaching skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good computer skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Good peoples leadership skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline 5th October, 2015