Standard Chartered Bank is a leading international bank, with more than a 150-year history in some of the world’s most dynamic markets.
We bank the people and companies driving investment, trade and the creation of wealth across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
With 1,600 branches and offices in 70 countries, we offer exciting and challenging international career opportunities.
Job Title: Principal – Structured Solutions
Trade is a core business of the Bank and will make a significant contribution in delivering the Banks growth aspirations. Towards this end, we are looking for a high performer to join the team and help Trade “Lead The Way”. We are currently among the top 3 banks globally for Trade Finance Business and considered a leader in Trade Finance area. We continue to pioneer in this area and have launched new products and solutions that are the first of its kind for the banking industry. We continue to develop new product capability in the area of Trade Finance providing the best in class solution for the needs of our clients.
The role involves Ideation, Structuring and negotiating Structured Trade transactions for clients of West Africa. This role is based in Lagos. Working in tandem with the Banking Team and Transaction Banking Sales Team, Trade/Cash Product Management the role will involve finding bespoke solutions for client needs, including but not limited to open a/c financing, inventory/warehouse finance, etc. SPV based financing and securitised trades will be an important aspect of the role. The role involves leading and executing the transaction whether to be implemented in West Africa or other parts of the network for West Africa based clients.
The incumbent will be a key member of the Structured Solutions Team responsible for:
a) transaction structuring, whilst conforming to the Bank’s policies and client’s objectives
b) managing end2end deal lifecycle – from identifying needs, structuring to term-sheet/credit workshopping /negotiating facility docs/execution.
c) Lead the client discussions with the RM teams or TB sales
d) coordinate input and approvals from internal stakeholders on the solutions. The incumbent would be constantly positioning SCB to be well placed in adapting to industry changes and requirements.
e) Ensure fee budgets are met through execution of deals which add value to the client.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Originate and Scope- by providing advice and sharing industry needs and structures with sales teams and RM’s. To identify key client needs based on knowledge of the industry and client.
* Structure and negotiate- To develop structures to meet clients financing needs.
Preparing and negotiating term sheets with the client. To vet the underlying commercial contracts, if any.
To interface and engage with In-house Legal and external counsel as applicable to ensure the documentation is robust and in line with banks requirements.
To engage various teams and work to resolve operational, regulatory & compliance, accounting and tax issues.
To structure the solutions for the distribution/sell down of the assets (developed through various structures including ECAs, credit insurance, primary market distribution etc).
To price the transaction appropriately and charge structuring fees commensurate with the solution and efforts.
* Risk management: To be able to make work shopping memos/PSR so that deal structure, risks and revenue economics can be effectively communicated to relevant stakeholders. To ensure that the solutions are in line with the banks policies and deviations are appropriately identified and approvals sought.
To discuss structure and risks along with RM teams and credit.
To ensure key risk triggers are monitored.
* Delivery and Execution: To be aware of the operational aspects of each product and systems so that structures are developed which does not enhance operational risks.
To coordinate with the delivery teams to ensure that draw downs happen smoothly.
Qualifications and Skills
- * Proficiency in English
- * Relevant experience.
- * Strategic: ability to appreciate the bigger picture, create alternatives & instinctively spot relevant patterns, while remaining aware of the detailed nuances.
- * Analytical: ability to search for reasons and causes behind events and decisions and be able to brainstorm on all the factors that might affect a situation. Ability to understand, and communicate industry and business risks and find solutions that fit within acceptable risk levels.
- * Risk – Exposure to credit analysis and BCA writing of complex clients. Experience of executing multi geography transactions with understanding of legal and regulatory implications.
- * Effective communication skills: Well-developed written and spoken communication skills to promote SCB capabilities within the SCB Group and externally and ability to coordinate and manage multiple stakeholders.
- * Teamwork: ability to work in a cross cultural team and maximize the team effort.
- * Good Interpersonal Skills : Personable with great emphasis on team work
- * Diligence – Ensure deals are closed efficiently, fees booked within committed timelines and budgets are met
- * Exposure to Structured Trade & Commodity Finance, securitised and SPV based financing is strongly preferred
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.