Aequitas is an innovative public policy and service transformation company, providing public policy advice, capability building and service design services. We challenge existing thinking, prioritising core services in a difficult financial environment.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Speechwriter
Location: Abuja (including domestic and international travel)
Contract: Perm/ Full time
Language: English (Fluent)
- Aequitas is recruiting a full time speechwriter to be based in Abuja, Nigeria. The successful candidate will be working with a number of senior politicians in Nigeria. Knowledge and understanding of Nigerian and/or African politics will be a significant advantage.
- The Speechwriter will be responsible for working directly with senior politicians on a daily basis – drafting speeches, remarks and scripts for global, national and domestic audiences, print and broadcast media, and national political leaders. He/she will work alongside the Aequitas team and politician’s team.
- This position comes with significant responsibility and requires at least 5-7 years experience in a related field. It demands political and strategic thinking and the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well written materials under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Lead on the drafting of all speeches. This will include:
- Drafting speeches to be delivered domestically and internationally.
- Working closely with Aequitas and politician’s policy and media team to develop messaging;
- Analyzing complex information, legislation and policy, including qualitative and quantitative data, to extract information for speeches/lectures and other communications material as required;
- Undertaking policy research to support writing, and liaising with the politician’s private office and media team;
- Ability to write at a senior level and to global standards, and edit written content for general public to be disseminated through press or other platforms.
- Experience of working at a senior level – ministerial or higher – and meeting daily editorial deadlines for speeches and other communications materials.
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking research into global and domestic public policy issues, legislative affairs, and African politics and economy.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced university Degree (Master) in Politics, Journalism, Economics or related discipline.
- At least five to seven years of experience writing English-language speeches and other forms of communications for senior government officials, party leaders, or senior industry representatives.
- Experience of meeting daily and weekly content deadlines and working under significant political pressures and to campaign and legislative timetables.
- High level and strategic understanding of the political issues facing Nigeria and West Africa.
- Familiarity with the political process, and global economic and political institutions; understanding of Nigerian politics.
- Experience of providing policy advise at senior government level, and working in ministerial private offices or the equivalent.
Salary: GBP £40-70,000 + benefits.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online