BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Assistant Sound Engineer
Reports To; Senior Sound Engineer
Start Date: October 2015
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: 1 Year
- The Assistant Sound Engineer will provide high quality sound recording and editing skills for BBC Media Action – Nigeria for a variety of audio and video outputs on diverse platforms (radio, TV, film, Internet, etc.) to help us deliver dynamic and distinctive programming in accordance with BBC standards.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Senior Sound Engineer and the Executive Editor, and working with other Sound Engineers, help support all sound recording and editing needs of BBC Media Action – Nigeria.
- This may include location recording of radio dramas, field interviews, debates, in-studio recordings, public service announcements, or any other potential output on any platform.
- Help with post-production sound editing of programs, sound balancing of programs for broadcast, and delivery of final versions to deadline.
- Support the team in planning ahead of production, including recces, equipment prep, logistics, and consideration of health and safety issues from a sound recording perspective.
- Along with the rest of the Sound Engineer team, take responsibility for technical safety in the studio and on location, and operate all equipment safely adhering to safety regulations.
- Along with the rest of the Sound Engineer team, take responsibility for proper use, care and storage of all sound equipment.
- Keep up with latest sound recording advances, methods and trends and implement them into your work,
- Assist in completing all relevant pre- and post-production paperwork.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in recording sound for radio and/or TV in-studio and in a variety of outdoor settings.
- Experience recording sound for radio and/or TV for different programme formats, including drama, interviews, and debates.
- Experience editing sound for radio and/or TV programmes.
- Experience working with relevant computer software like Pro-Tools, Logic Pro Audio, Adobe Audition, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Experience in equipment handling/maintenance on location and in studio.
- Experience in technical and creative studio or outdoors set-up to accommodate varying filming and recording needs.
- A good first degree in electrical/electronic engineering, sound engineering or in any relevant field would be an advantage.
- Good oral and written English.
- Hausa language skills would be an advantage.
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgement -Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement and the ability to learn BBC editorial guidelines and values.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Managing relationships and team working – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
NB: (A job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.)
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2015.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter, capability statement and a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter and the subject of the email “Assistant Sound Engineer” to: [email protected]