Jagal Group is a leading Nigerian conglomerate with operations in the Oil&Gas, Construction and Manufacturing industries. The company has been growing successfully over the past 40 years, and has become a valuable and respected contributor to the development of the country’s economy.
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the Shafting Mechanic Vacancy at Jagal Group
Job Position: Shafting Mechanic
Department supervisor/Ship Manager / Operations Manager / and or his deputy in times of absence for all items concerning the day to day repair / planning for vessels or internal jobs
Purpose / Role:
Ensure all safety procedures are followed and work towards improvement of the safety culture, ensuring all his workers utilize PPE correctly – as required by the task in hand. To stop & report any unsafe acts, including “STOP WORK AUTHORITY”
- Ensuring that full understanding of the “Scope of Work” for the vessel / project is understood for his department.
- Effective cost controls on the use of all manpower on the vessel to reduce additional costs / excessive overtime.
- Inform Operations Manager / Ship Manager for all production planning / quality control & reports and any requests from the client for additional work.
- Verify any sub-contractors work quality and completeness prior to handing back to client.
- Ensure all HSE/QC requirements for their department are carried out – in liaison with HSE Manager / Ship Managers as appropriate.
- Raise all materials and consumables requests in a timely manner and follow up the material requisitions to ensure that the material is delivered on time. Inspect items for acceptability as required return any excess material back to the stores immediately – so it is not lost or damaged.
- Bringing outstanding items / issues to Management notice in a timely manner.
- Working firmly yet fairly with his entire workforce.
- Identification / Training of those workers who need to be trained in other tasks in order that they can improve their section Matrix skills and become more effective and productive in the Shipyard. To Monitor budget hours agreed for each activity and control expenditure to meet these budgeted hours
Key aims and objectives:
- Entire “Department” personnel plus any casuals seconded to them.
- This may include subcontract labour – if included.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties:
Authorities – Key person for communication to / from the department and staff
- Clearing up after their department has completed their assigned daily work – not leaving it for others to do. Keeping the working area clean and safe whilst work on going.
- Identification and selection of appropriate workers to carry out the various tasks – getting the right man for the job.
- Carry out Safety / Operational briefings regarding specific tasks which are to be undertaken on each project and ensure all personnel involved are also in attendance, especially when involving “ delicate” and “high risk” lifting procedures / operations.
- Complete various “Internal Shipyard Projects” assigned to them, in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Report unsafe acts / instances requiring discipline to Management without delay.
- Understanding and working towards the agreed goals and annual targets for Shipyard Division.
- Identification of defective equipment to Operations Manager / Ship Manager in a timely manner so that repairs can be put into effect.
- Assist other sections carry out their duties as requested by Shipyard Management – without argument or dissent.
- Ensuring that all section work is inspected personally and verified to be acceptable – prior to passing on to client or next section
- Ensuring any client concerns or complains are brought to the Ship Managers attention immediately.
- To act on own initiative in order to improve the process or projects and inform Management of any suggestions for consideration.
- Attend Periodic Safety Meetings as part of Shipyard staff
- Attend Weekly Safety Meetings and ensure all his workforce complies with any and all updates in the Safety processes.
- Daily Manpower distribution report – to meet the daily deadlines.
- Casual labour list request in advance – to Operations Manager
- Daily booking of all Dept work force and casuals’ time – to jobs.
- Safety reports regarding any “incidents” associated with the dept.
- Annual “Matrix” appraisal of his workers and casuals.
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.