Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Newborn Health Program Officer
Support the roll out and implementation of the Newborn care project focusing on strengthening newborn healthcare service delivery working mainly at Primary health facility levels including strengthening linkages between the primary and secondary levels of care in collaboration with the Local Government health unit
The coordinator will work with the Project manager, Maternal Newborn and Child health advisor and other project team members to provide technical assistance to stake holders in the state, LGA and Community Health Workers (CHWs) to increase access to quality newborn health services in a select LGA of Kaduna state.
He/ She will coordinate the all program activities in the LGA in addition to working closely with members of the Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and other partners. He/ she will contribute to the documentation of best practices and lessons learnt in newborn health in Kaduna state.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Technical and Advisory Support:
- Support the establishment or strengthening of referral linkages across health facilities within the selected LGA
- Establish newborn health corners and KMC units at the primary health care facilities
- Supervise all primary facility level activities undertaken by HWs including data collection and reporting to ensure high quality and acceptable standards.
- Work together with facility in-charges, CHWS, health facilities and communities in the coordination of the referral to next level of care
- Contribute to the planning and facilitation of training for primary health care workers in the selected LGA
- Participate actively in programme communication efforts- from conception, planning to dissemination of messages
- Support advocacy activities including LGA level advocacy linked to improving resources for Newborn Health
- Work with the LGA health and planning department to ensure that newborn life-saving commodities are inputted and costed in their procurement and operational plans
- Track and prepare monthly and quarterly project reports and indicators of newborn health care activities; including documenting of key lessons learnt and successes working with the M&E officer.
Planning and Budgeting:
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities
- Participate in preparation of overall work plan and budget for Newborn health programme in Kaduna State
- Collaborate with LGA authorities, other partners (WHO, UNICEF, CHAI, MNCH2 in planning and implementing activities
- Ensure the maintenance of healthy partnerships with relevant government counterparts and other partners at the LGA level
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Administrative & General Skills
- A Masters in Public Health
- Experience working in newborn health
- At least 3 years’ work experience in an International NGO.
- Experience of working with local communities and LGA authorities in north western region of Nigeria will be an added advantage
- Experience in newborn health programming including facility and community based health service improvement is essential.
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office applications, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply