UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Infrastructure Advisor
Vacancy Code: VA/2015/B5314/8862
Duty Station: Accra with frequent travel to Nigeria, Liberia and Sierra Leone, Ghana
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level IICA-3
Duration 1 year
Background Information – Job-specific
- UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
- GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The Core Functions of the Operational Hub are to:
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- UNOPS currently implements annually over $300million of public works, including construction or rehabilitation of roads and bridges, public buildings such as hospitals, schools, police training centers and prisons, a variety of community infrastructure and emergency relief structures.
- In our work with governments and public sectors in developing countries, there is also a growing demand for UNOPS to provide technical assistance to plan, manage and deliver infrastructure.
- The Senior Infrastructure Advisor, reporting directly to the Hub Director will provide leadership to the infrastructure team and in growing a technical assistance infrastructure portfolio in the Anglophone West Africa sub-region.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub-regional portfolio.
- UNOPS aims to support the planning, management and implementation of infrastructure that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable, even in the most challenging environments.
- Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the GHOH Director, the Senior Infrastructure Advisor shall give his/her technical expertise as required to support the planning and development of infrastructure programmes and strategies with governments and development partners.
Specific Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Assess feasibility studies including economic and financial aspects with a focus on value for money.
- Support governments and partners in the selection of infrastructure planning and management tool sets
- Take the lead in sourcing quality technical resources internally and externally to UNOPS.
- Liaise with UNOPS Infrastructure and Project Management Group in developing best practice and Quality Assurance issues.
- Advising other UN agencies or donors in connection with sustainable infrastructure best practice
- Act as resource pool manager for Infrastructure practitioners including resource management, talent management and managing productivity
- Preparing and delivering training and guidance materials on infrastructure strategy, implementation and documentation
- Provide direct inputs to specific project engagements, as required
- Actively engaging with infrastructure stakeholders in the region to improve UNOPS visibility and enhance reputation in infrastructure field.
- Lead the infrastructure Business Development activities including meetings, proposal writing in order to grow the GHOH portfolio.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Evidence of strong relationships with government and development partner entities involved in planning, design and implementation of infrastructure.
- Develop strategy and implementation plans for infrastructure portfolio
- It is expected that through this role the hub will increase its infrastructure portfolio, and through improved planning, design and delivery of projects enhance its reputation in the Hub Region.
- Signing of partnership agreements
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Planning, Civil Engineering or other related discipline of Engineering based; or other, such as Development Studies, International Relations, Project Management, Public Administration.
- Additional 2 years of relevant work experience, may substitute for the requirement for a Masters.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: International Individual Contract Agreement (IICA)
- Contract level: IICA – 3
- Contract duration: 1 Year
- 7 years of relevant experience working in the infrastructure sector with significant experience as an advisor or consultant within the public infrastructure sector.
- Substantial experience from a leading local or global provider of advisory or consulting services to the public and private sectors.
- Experience in direct management of works as either a contractor or consulting engineer, working with emerging economies and specific experience in post-conflict, post-disaster environments will be an advantage.
- Certification in Prince 2 Practitioner would be an asset.
- UNOPS Core Values /Competencies
- Results orientation
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Technological awareness
- Respect for diversity
- Planning and organization skills
- Proficiency in English is essential.
- Prior experience in development sector or working in developing countries is a great advantage.
- Ability to integrate into public sector teams,
- Internationally recognized professional certification in engineering, architecture or construction management (e.g. CEng, PE, or equivalent) is desirable
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and client focus.
- Experience in post-conflict, post-disaster countries is desirable
- Prior experience working in middle income countries is considered advantageous
- Experience with major donors/Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) is desirable
Application Closing Date
19th November, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifies candidates should:
Click here to apply
Click Here for more details about the ICA contractual modality.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.