Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION) is a results-orientated Non-Governmental Organisation that believes that women and men have the right to choose when they have children.
MSION is part of Marie Stopes International Global Partnership which operates in 43 countries and is one of the largest Non-Governmental provider of family planning in the world.
MSION uses modern management and marketing techniques to meet the needs of the underserved and dramatically improve access to high quality family planning and other reproductive health services in Nigeria.
The various post holders are required to demonstrate: Initiative, Energy, Persistence, Result orientation, Drive, Integrity, Enthusiasm and Commitment to personal development to further MSI’s partnership mission of enabling individuals to have children by choice not chance.
Job Title: Risk Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reporting to: Country Director
Probationary period: 6 months
The Risk Advisor position is the primary safety and security advisor and security focal point for Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION).
Reporting to the Country Director, the Risk Advisor will be responsible for fostering a culture of safety and security amongst team members and developing a strong organisational security management infrastructure. They will be directly involved with programme design and implementation, looking at general aspects of risk.
This will be achieved through: regular analysis of the security and operating environment in Nigeria; analysing critical incidents affecting MSION, international employees and INGOs; developing and managing safety and security guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures; providing security briefings to all international visitors and conduct security inductions with all new team members; integrating security policy to all business areas; and developing and testing contingency plans. S/he will the first responder to any critical incident, and will review and make recommendations to the Country Management Team regarding safety and security management.
- Overall responsibility for leading a risk advisory team overseeing and analysing medical, financial, reputational, and duty of care risk, providing risk mitigation advice to the Senior Management Team
- Work closely with programmes/medical, finance, logistics and human resources departments to ensure that all new and existing projects have assessed operational risk, have documented and implemented the appropriate mitigations, and achieved duty of care
- Lead and/or support investigations of medical incidents, fraud, duty of care and insurance gaps
- Overall responsibility for ensuring MSION continually meets its Duty of Care requirements in relation to security management and in line with MSI’s Global Security Framework
- Create and update the MSION National Essential Security Package (ESP) (including Welcome Pack, Context Analysis, Threat Levels, Risk Assessment, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans and Crisis Management)
- Support MSION managers to create and update Regional ESPs (including Context Analysis, Threat Levels, Risk Assessment, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans)
- Management of day to day security incidents affecting MSION team members, assets and reputation
- Briefing, debriefing and security induction of all programme visitors, new and existing team members
- Ensure a high level of procedural and physical security measures are in place at all MSION premises, including access control, visitor protocols, key management, and appropriate branding / visibility
- Ensure that appropriate communications and other security related equipment is in place, functional, understood and appropriately used by all relevant staff members
- Contractual management of security guards and private security companies, including agreeing, checking and enforcing SOPs and performance.
- Renewal of contracts and management of payments to security communications and tracking suppliers
Crisis Management Support
- Delivery of Crisis Management Training to the Crisis Management Team (CMT)
- Activate and ensure adherence to crisis protocol and procedures
- Advise the Country Director, CMT Lead and Support on possible actions, scenarios and outcomes during a crisis
- Ensure that decisions fully address duty of care requirements and maintain log book
- Provide links to external risk management specialists and Nigeria security networks
Human Resources Support
- Assist HR with the security aspect of recruitment, selection, on-boarding and training of MSION positions with security responsibilities (e.g. Regional Managers)
- Successful technical management of the above positions
- Develop capacity within the country programme through training needs identification, training delivery and on the job support.
- Provide a security induction briefings to all new team members
- Attend and contribute to external security networks (donor, humanitarian forums, professional security working groups)
- Actively develop and maintain security influencer networks with a full range of stakeholders including community leaders, NGOs, donors, NGO security forums, government, police, armed forces, intelligence agencies, private security companies
- Continued contact, discussion and strategic planning with MSI’s Global Security Officer
- Ensure that MSION premises, vehicles and assets are free from hazards, safe and well prepared in terms of fire, natural disaster and general safety.
- Prepare and coordinate fire and natural disaster safety drills in all locations
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Relevant university degree, preferably risk management or international development
- Relevant security management training certificates (risk assessment, personal security, security management, abduction, hostile environment awareness) and 1st aid training
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role with NGOs, with extensive experience in implementing security management and procedures
- Extensive experience working in Nigeria will be an added advantage
- Experience with budget creation and management
- Experience in administration and team management
- Good interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to train and mobilise both international and national team members
- Computer and organisational skills
- Fluent in English both written and spoken
- Extensive and active security network
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the Support Office
Attitude / Motivation:
- Energy and passion for purpose
- Focus and drive and ability to stay on track
- Action orientated
- Focus on detail while being able to see the big picture
- Flexible and adaptable
- Culturally aware
- A compelling and influential communicator
- Strong networking skills
- Aligned with the values of MSION and Marie Stopes International
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSION is an equal opportunity Employer.
Please note that this position is a local hire position.
Please submit a detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees (1 of which should be immediate, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other) to [email protected] quoting the position title as the subject of the email on or before Friday 8th January 2016.
CV/Suitability statement should be saved in the applicant’s full name.