The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Rice seed expert to be based at AfricaRice Station, Ibadan, Nigeria.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Rice Seed Expert
The Rice seed expert will contribute to the implementation of the rice seed scaling project funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under the Feed‐the‐Future Initiative (FTF). The project aims to improve farmers’ access to good quality seed of released rice varieties in Nigeria.
The Rice seed expert will be part of a multi‐disciplinary research team working to sustain and improve the productivity of rice‐based systems in Africa in line with AfricaRice’s mission and mandate. S/he will report directly to the Regional Representative and the Rice Sector Development Program Leader. S/he will receive backstopping from AfricaRice senior experts in seed systems development. The Rice Seed Expert will work closely with the National Cereals Research Institute (NCRl), National Agricultural Seed Council (NASC), private seed companies and extension agencies in Nigeria.
The successful candidate will cater to Nigeria’s urgent need for quality rice breeder and foundation seed. More specifically, s/he will:
- Purify genetically and produce nucleus seed of all released rice varieties in Nigeria;
- Maintain genetic purity of breeder seed of all released rice varieties in Nigeria;
- Contribute to building technical capacity of a selected group of private seed companies on foundation and certified seed production, good agricultural practices, internal quality control and marketing of their products;
- Train NASC seed inspectors in varietal recognition and seed quality control;
- Develop annual research and project proposals, work plans, budgets, financial and technical reports in consultation with the program Leader and team members;
- Undertake any other duties as required by the need of the center.
Education: Post‐graduate degree in a relevant agricultural field.
Work Experience: Prior experience coordinating multiple stakeholders towards shared goals and objectives in particular in the area of seed systems development; working experience in Africa and private sector experience are highly desirable
Key Competencies Required: Knowledge of rice‐based systems in Africa is considered an important asset.
Language: Proficiency in English language and excellent written and spoken communication skills are required.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for three years with the possibility for renewal.
Method of Application
Expressions of interest together with a full CV (MS Word format) and supporting statement should be directed in confidence to [email protected] with the vacancy reference in subject: IRS/07/DPC/2015/07.
Applications will be considered until Sunday, August 09, 2015.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence in our operations and particularly welcome qualified applications from women, people living with disabilities and developing countries. AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.