International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
IITA seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Prepare and maintain centralized laboratory reagents and buffers for nucleic acid isolation;
- Conduct regular molecular biology Work (Plant DNA/RNA isolation, DNA/RNA quality and quantity analysis, PCR, and Gel Electrophoresis);
- Conduct routine procurement and organize activities of equipment, chemicals and lab supplies;
- Keep an up-to-date record of laboratory supplies and participate in procurement processing;
- Keep laboratory benches and equipment in good working condition;
- Maintain accurate data records and laboratory notebooks and computer records that can be accessed on demand by supervisor;
- Ensure compliance with laboratory safety regulations;
- Train junior staff, short-term visitors, Corpers and IT students;
- Assist in data analysis and report writing;
- Actively participate in field sample collection while taking utmost care in tracking and maintaining sample records from the field to the lab;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification and Competencies
- BSc. / HND in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field with 2 years’ relevant experience performing similar role.
- Ideal candidate bust be organized and be able to pay attention to detail.
- Must have good time management skills.
- Strong communication skills – verbal and writte.
- Excellent judgment, critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Must have basic training in core principles of Genetics, Biochemistry and plant Biology.
- Dependable, takes initiative and ready to accept responsibilities.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here for more information (PDF)
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Application Deadline 5th May, 2016.