JOB TITLE: Protection Officer-P3
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Undertake protection policy analyses of issues that are impacting WFP beneficiaries and their communities and the linkages to food security and food assistance. The PO will assist the country office in monitoring and evaluating these issues in the design of new programmes and initiatives.
- Advise WFP and partners on the integration of protection in food assistance programmes. Based on the analysis of protection issues, the PO will help WFP and its partners to develop responses and action points for the WFP Country Office for implementation of its programmes. These responses may include, programmatic actions, advocacy measures, partnership building and coordination enhancement activities, etc. In this regard, the PO shall work closely with WFP field staff; protection policy-mandated and non-mandated agencies; WFP NGO cooperating/implementing partners; and other relevant interlocutors on the ground.
- Integrate protection considerations relevant for food security, nutrition and food assistance into WFP’s tools. The PO will work with the Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping and the and Monitoring and Evaluation Units in the WFP Country Office to integrate relevant protection concerns into assessment and monitoring tools and support the roll out of the updated tools with WFP and partners at the field level.
- Inter-agency coordination and representation. The PO will assist WFP to coordinate with other UN humanitarian agencies, NGO partners and other relevant interlocutors on assessments of current and emerging protection issues and response planning. In particular, the PO will assist WFP to strengthen its relationship with the sector working group and individual actors to ensure complementarity with the overall strategy on protection. The PO may, from time to time, represent WFP in inter-agency meetings, and will provide advice to WFP staff who participate in such for at the national or field levels.
- Undertake capacity building activities for WFP and partners staff on protection in relation to food assistance programming. The PO will design and carry out training in Maidaguiri to increase WFP and partner staffs understanding of integrating protection in food assistance, as well as their capacity to design and implement project adjustments in response to these.
- The Protection Officer will have at least 5 years of international experience in issues relating to humanitarian
- The incumbent will have at least 5 years direct knowledge and experience of field operations including programming and coordination aspects.
- She/he will have a varied experience of both complex (man-made) as well as natural disaster crises and the humanitarian principles associated with each.
- He/she will be fully familiar with WFP’s mandate and operating procedures, as well as with the agency’s approach to emergency response and food security issues.
The Protection Officer also needs:
- • Good writing skills
- • Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- • Solid experience as a trainer
- • Can work under pressure in a security challenging environment
- • Languages: Written and spoken English
If you see yourself in and have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.canadem.ca/register . Then send an email to[email protected] by no later than May 12th, 11:59 pm EDT. Please include in a Subject Line: “Protection Officer-P3-Nigeria.” In your email, please include an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you.
Please also forward blank referee questionnaire that can be found at www.canadem.ca/rqf to two of your references (recent supervisors preferred). Full instructions on how to complete the forms are included in the document; also please send us any evaluation report that you may have about your field work. We will be considering applications as they are received.