The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) is a regional grouping of 19 African States which have agreed to promote regional integration through trade development and transport facilitation.
The COMESA Secretariat is responsible for providing the necessary technical assistance and guidance in the formulation and implementation of the projects and the requisite monitoring of activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Manager
Duration of Appointment: The contract will initially run up to 31 December 21)16 with possibility for extension subject to performance and availability of resources under the RISM programme.
- In order to enhance the internal capacities to efficiently support the project development and implementation at Member States level, the Secretariat is seeking the services of a Project Manager who will work with the coordination unit of RISM and the Member States in the region and a Senior Procurement Assistant to support COMESA and the Regional Integration Support Mechanism (RISM) by acting as a primary resource to ensure that all RISM purchases are made according to COMESA rules and regulations.
- The duty Station will be at the COMESA Secretariat headquarters in Lusaka, Zambia. The successful applicants will also be required to undertake significant duty travel to COMESA Member States, the African Union, other Regional Economic Communities and any others identified in the line of duty.
- Under the overall supervision of the Secretary General and direct supervision of the COMA1d/ RISM Coordinator, the Project Manager undertakes to provide the full spectrum of project management support which will include the following:
- Support Member States in the programming, identification and formulation of projects line with the COMESA Adjustment Facility procedures, European Development Fund Procedures and other procedures as applicable;
- Attend project management and steering committee meetings, and propose actions where necessary;
- Contribute to preparation of visibility materials that will include articles and papers on the CAF and RISM
- Support the implementation of the COMESA Adjustment Facility and Aid for Trade Strategy including monitoring and reporting of the RISM programme;
- Support the professional record keeping and knowledge management activities of the Unit, including technical analysis, documentation and archiving, and
- Support the implementation of programme activities, particularly those under project- based support, and highlighting high risk areas for management attention;
- Consult with divisions and units at the COMESA Secretariat to ensure consistency and coherence of selected projects with existing COMESA (and EAC) programmes and policies;
- Undertake Consultations with COMESA’s development partners and other stakeholders including but not limited to the national and regional European Union Delegations in the respective Member States throughout project cycle process;
- In collaboration with the COMESA Finance Division, ensure that work plans, budgets and reports are submitted on time and in line with stipulated procedures; Contribute to the development of project procedures required for the full project cycle including templates, manuals and procedures for project implementation;
- Ensure that audits and evaluation of projects are undertaken in a timely manner, internally endorsed within the COMAid/RISM Unit and transmitted for final institutional approvals;
- Support finalisation and management of grant contracts or agreements with Member States and/or implementing institutions in line with areed procedures;
- Undertake other assignment as may be assigned by the COMAid/RISM Coordinator.
Required Professional Experience and Competencies
The candidate must at least have:
- A degree in a development field such as Project Management, Economics, Finance, Law and Business studies.
- A professional qualification such as ACCA or CIMA or a relevant Master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- Ability and experience across a broad range of programmatic and administrative functions: budget/work programme, procurement, audit, evaluation, etc;
- Ability to work in both English and French. However, candidates with only one language may also be considered;
- Experience working with people of diverse cultural, education, socio-economic, and linguistic/ ethnic backgrounds;
- The successful candidate will have excellent organizational and communication skills; ability to multi-task and must be a quick learner who focuses on high productivity and results;
- The candidate will be professional, friendly, and with an enthusiastic personality; and will be a self-starter with a proactive attitude and a good anticipation of needs.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in an international organization or Government.
- Experience in a field or fields relevant to regional integration and development will be an added advantage;
- Experience in project cycle management (programming, identification and monitoring) activities in national or regional organizations is required.
- Experience in European Development Fund procedures (projects are implemented in line with EDF-EU procedures), will be an asset;
- Computer skills in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment under minimum supervision;
Working Language Requirement:
- Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing).
- A combination of any two or all of these languages will be an added advantage. Location of performance of the Contract
A monthly all-inclusive lump sum of Euro7,000.00 will be paid. However, this may be adjusted where a candidate has less experience than requested.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download and complete the Job Application Form and send to:[email protected] using the job title as the subject of your mail.
Note: This is a regional position open to Nationals of ACP, COMESA and EU Member State. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Application Deadline 30th September, 2015.