The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Our award-winning research for development (R4D) addresses the development needs of tropical countries. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture.
Background and Responsibilities
We are seeking a project coordinator for an upcoming 5 year BMGF -funded project in 5 countries in Africa (Nigeria, Tanzania, DRC, Ghana and Kenya) that aims to increase the availability of appropriate and affordable technologies to sustainably improve short and long-term agricultural productivity in cassava in the target countries. The project is composed of six Work Streams [(i) Strategic cassava agronomy research, (ii) Geo-spatial information, (iii) Cassava agronomy decision support tools, (iv) Facilitating use of these tools, (v) Capacity development, and (vi) Project management] ) and will operate primarily by improving the capacity of both the public and private sector actors in their respective roles in development and dissemination of cassava agronomy technologies. The Project will be closely integrated with other IITA and BMGF initiatives and development partner projects in the region. The position is contingent upon IITA being awarded the project.
The Project Coordinator will:
• Provide overall program management support, help to develop a strong, coherent technical vision and initiate innovative strategies across the project.
• Establish and operate a project management system and supervise program operations, personnel, M&E, and/or preparation of periodic written reports to BMGF.
• Design and manage interventions that aim to build capacity of various institutions, private businesses, public organizations, and researchers across the six project components.
• Identify and manage technological innovations within the cassava agronomy sector, and disseminate findings through, among other venues, stakeholder meetings (advocacy), print, radio and cell phone based systems.
• Design and manage increasingly localized research programs on cassava agronomy
• Facilitate internal and external communication
• Monitor and evaluate progress towards project milestones.
• Contribute in ensuring effective overall contract management, reporting, communications and relationship management with donor, partners and stakeholders.
• Coordinate organization of planning meetings and training workshops.
• (Co) author scientific publications in top quality agronomy journals.
• Country contact for Nigeria and Ghana (with a colleague playing this role for Ghana, Uganda,
and East DR Congo).
Qualification and Experience
The candidate should possess the intellectual leadership and strong management skills necessary to develop, articulate and carry out a vision for the project.
• S/he must have a minimum of PhD degree in agriculture related fields, with 10 years of progressively responsible experience managing complex agricultural development programs and expertise to successfully achieve meaningful and sustainable results in the areas of agriculture technology transfer.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience as project coordinator on projects of similar complexity, with experience in managing teams of professionals, and with the administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial and logistical aspects of project implementation.
• The project coordinator will also have strong expertise in agronomy R4D in sub-Saharan Africa
• Technology transfer or agricultural work experience in target countries or SSA is required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and fluent English language capability (with French being an added advantage).
• Strong knowledge and experience of African farming systems.
• Demonstrated ability to lead the writing and publication of technical documents in relation to the project goals.
• Strong skills in team building and creating synergies between project partners and activities.
• Proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments, private sector, and other development actors.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions
in a pleasant campus environment.
Duty Station: Abuja or Ibadan, Nigeria
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.