International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM has a proactive recruitment policy to increase the representation of nationals of non- represented member states. Qualified applicants from the following countries will be favourably considered:
Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Czech Republic, Comoros, Djibouti, El Salvador, Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Holy See, Iceland, Israel, Lesotho, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Montenegro, Micronesia, Mongolia, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Republic of Congo, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Somalia, Suriname, Swaziland, Tanzania, Timor Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen.
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the Programme Officer Vacancy at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Job Position: Programme Officer (Capacity Building)
Reference Code: SVN2015/84(P)-EXT
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short term,Six months with possibility of extension
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the management of the IOM capacity building program to be implemented in close collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on emergency related sectors and activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conduct, in close collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), learning assessments of government authorities and partners at national and state levels.
- Plan and organize the staff development and trainings for the IOM emergency related programs.
- Work closely with NEMA, SEMA, and humanitarian and development partners to synergize exiting training mechanisms and initiatives.
- Gather, assess and compile training materials and facilitate the regular exchange of information within and between all authorities involved in emergency preparedness and response. Ensure improved access to training materials available and identify needs and gaps in training.
- Liaise with national and state authorities, programme partners, civil society, the international community and donors.
- Develop, together with NEMA and SEMA, a capacity-building strategy as well as the corresponding emergency-related training programmes and materials on camp coordination and camp management, NFI prepositioning and warehouse management, information management and disaster risk management. Plan and coordinate the delivery of workshops and trainings.
- Provide advice and technical assistance on different aspects of the training programme to the government’s counterparts and partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Effectively interfaces with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration issues and the work of IOM;
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context;
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context.
Emergency and Crisis:
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures;
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors;
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners;
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Education, Business Administration, Human Resources, Migration Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in developing and implementing training projects or programmes;
- Experience in capacity-building, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM);
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Work experience in a resource-limited setting and rapidly changing environment, ideally in the Central and West Africa region.
- Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date
10th of August, 2015.