Freedom Foundation is a faith based non-profit, committed to addressing the ever-mounting and staggering challenges facing members of society living in absolute poverty. Our model includes Rehabilitation, Education, Empowerment, Research, and Awareness Promotion, and it actively partners with the government, other NGOs, civil society organizations and corporate institutions to ensure the delivery of human services at the greatest points of impact.
Our Vision is to become a model for delivering social reformation in order to achieve individual and community transformation. To achieve human security by continually seeking to identify the different human needs within our communities and develop creative ways to strategically and effectively meet them through result-oriented programs and initiatives
Our Mission is to reach out, give hope, rehabilitate, educate and empower impoverished persons in Nigeria through community-based programs and initiatives in order to achieve individual and community transformation.
Program Director, House of Refuge
House of Refuge is the drug rehabilitation program of Freedom Foundation. House of Refuge helps people who are suffering from problems with drug dependency to overcome the problem, take responsibility for their lives, and reintegrate into society. Apart from coordinating the medical aspect of rehabilitation which is primarily detoxification, medical treatment, follow-up, psycho-therapy, etc., we aim at providing a standard, comprehensive and holistic approach to the education, treatment and rehabilitation of drug and alcohol dependent persons in Nigeria.
In addition to treatment, House of Refuge is a voice in all matters of drug policy and advocacy. We actively partner with government agencies, UNODC, and other NGOs in dialogue and influencing Nigerian policy on substance abuse.
Through our partnership with schools and religious institutions, House of Refuge also conducts prevention workshops, seminars in schools, and outreach into at-risk communities.
The Program Director, House of Refuge, is responsible for crafting, driving and executing the successful leadership and management of House of Refuge, according to the strategic direction set by the Executive Committee.
- Collaborate with the program advisory board to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for the establishment and growth of House of Refuge.
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the HOR
- Conduct official correspondence for and on behalf of the Foundation on matters related to House of Refuge.
Program Planning and Management
- Engage in the iterative process of program design and improvement in order to deliver efficient and effective services to clients.
- Evaluate treatment procedures to ensure attainment of objectives and goals regarding rehabilitation from substance dependency.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects as may be approved by the program advisory board from time to time.
- Establish a network agencies and programs in this field to widen service provision and ensure continuity in type and level of patient care.
- Directs the clinical, managerial, and administrative aspects of the organization, ensure smooth running of day-to-day operations.
- In consultation with the Advisory Board and the Executive Secretary, recruit, supervise, and evaluate all staff for House of Refuge.
- Develops and implements budget and planning documents.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the HOR people (clients, staff, management, and volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Ensure periodic development of accurate management reports (accounting reports, staff performance, monitoring and evaluation reports, etc.) for review by the program advisory board and executive committee
- Work with the Finance Coordinator and Executive Secretary to prepare a comprehensive budget for House of Refuge
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Administer the funds according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the program
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory authorities
Research, Policy and Advocacy
- Initiate research studies and promote findings from prevention and treatment activities of House of Refuge
- Develop policy papers and thought leadership
- Plan annual conference on substance abuse and addiction.
Public Relations, Marketing, and Fundraising
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, sponsors, governmental organizations, politicians, and other NGO organizations to help achieve the goals of the HOR.
- Act as chief spokesperson for the program and support the Executive Director in stakeholder engagement and public relations activities.
- Represent House of Refuge at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
- Collaborate with FF Executive Secretary to develop and implement fundraising strategies to secure adequate funding for the operations of the HOR.
Any other duties as assigned by the HOR Executive Committee or the FF Executive Secretary.
- A good university degree.
- A post-graduate degree in relevant field (medicine or medical sciences, public health, social work, psychiatry, psychology, public policy etc.).
- Minimum of 5 years work experience and 3 years of managerial experience in a voluntary sector organization or business organization.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in a drug rehabilitation facility or working in a treatment program for substance abusers.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Familiarity with relevant federal and provincial legislation applicable to a nonprofit drug rehabilitation organization.
- Familiarity with issues, effective practices, and latest research in the field of treatments for substance abuse.
- Knowledge of program design, development and evaluation practices.
- Willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- High levels of ethics and integrity.
Method of Application
To apply: please submit a copy of your CV/Resume and a cover letter to: [email protected], with “Application for HOR Program Director” in the subject of the email.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.