Mercy Corps is an international non-governmental organisation established in 1979. Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012 and is focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation and humanitarian response.
Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
JOB TITLE: Procurement Specialist
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Procurement Specialist supports the Operations Manager ensuring compliance with donor regulations as well as with Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures, updates local manuals and policies, and builds the capacity of operations team members. S/he provides support and advises the Country Director, Finance Manager and Senior Program Management on operational issues.
S/he is an example of honesty and integrity and ensures the integrity of the operations team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Team Capacity Building/Management
- Develop capacities of operations team and program team to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations.
- Work closely with program management to facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Assist the program team and departments to understand their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations departments. These include trainings, regular coordination meetings, problem solving and procurement planning and other such planning activities to ensure effective and timely program implementation.
- Responsible for the full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals contained in the Office in a Box.
- Work closely with finance compliance and Operations Manager to prevent or mitigate fraud, conflict of interest, and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Train the Procurement Officer including processes and compliance
- Work with the outgoing Senior Procurement Officer to ensure seamless transition.
- Recruitment of the Senior Procurement Officer.
- Design a detail training module to jump start the hired Senior Procurement Officer and bringing the two officers up to speed on all processes and procedures.
- Supervise the Procurement Officer and Assistant and provide oversight to the procurement process.
Operations Management – Procurement:
- Ensure timely and accurate processing and documentation of procurements: the process, ensure accurate paperwork and a supply chain as described in the Field Procurement Manual.
- Ensure procurement records systems are well managed and maintained. Ensures that PR Master list is updated and distributed on weekly bases.
- Oversee use of the Electronic Procurement System.
- If applicable, ensure the warehouse procedures are followed as described in the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Supervise the fleet management team and ensure that systems are in place to track maintenance schedules, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling as described in the Field Fleet Management Guidelines.
- Maintain service contracts.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules.
- Oversee tracking of all assets to ensure accurate record keeping of Mercy Corps and donor assets, including exceptional items that require registration and movement tracking, in accordance with the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow in all warehouses.
- Oversee customs clearing, equipment registration, licensing and insurance, etc.
- Chair tender openings as required.
- Ensure use of paperwork in procurement such as Purchase Request, Request for Quotations, Quotations Analysis, Purchase order / Contracts, Good Received Note, Purchase Records and Payment Requests.
- Work with Operations Manager to improve procurement processes if need be.
- Conduct any forms of training for program staff as may be required.
- Ensure procurement files are well maintained in orderly and up to date systematically in hard and electronic forms. This includes regular review of on-going and master PR lists.
- Coordinate with Finance Department to ensure that, payments to vendors and service providers are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the Mercy Corps financial systems
- In cooperation with finance staff, help to ensure compliance with established financial management rules and procedures for Abuja based procurement personnel.
Strategy and Vision
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring activities designed to meet program objectives.
- As appropriate interface with the (donor) person(s) responsible for coordinating all supply shipments to Nigeria via the appropriate approval processes.
- Interfacing with our partners as well as sub-grantees, to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Operations team based in Abuja ( 3 direct reports, 12 ops team members).
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Operations Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Directors, Finance Manager and technically supports operations team in field offices.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in management, procurement and logistics or related field experience
- 5-7 years field experience in administrative or operational support functions with a humanitarian non-governmental organization with supervisor responsibilities.
- History of integrity and honesty
- Experience in setting up or developing further administration, procurement, logistics, and human resource management.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Experience living and working in Nigeria preferred.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (particularly Mercy Corps procurement systems) highly desirable.
- M&E experience preferred.
- Knowledge of donor (DfID, USAID, ECHO and various Foundations grants) regulations helpful.
- Speaking Housa is an added advantage.
Critical is problem solving, and the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with MC and donor regulations. Maintaining strong cooperating relationships with other departments is crucial. A successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity and demonstrate ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Job LocationAbuja, Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria Position TypeFull-Time/Regular
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply