Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) of IOM Nigeria, and under direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer, the successful candidate will assist on procurement activities for the implementation of the multi-year European Union (EU) – funded IOM Project, “Promoting Better Management of Migration in Nigeria” and all other projects in the mission.
Core functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in the planning and delivery of procurement services, ensuring appropriate quality controls, and consistent compliance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Analyze procurement requests, identify service providers, and evaluate information regarding vendor’s performance in the areas of quality, prices, and delivery of goods in view of the Organization’s best interests.
- Monitor maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance. Establish maintenance agreements with competent service providers, when it is feasible and determined to be cost effective.
- Maintain and update databases of preferred suppliers.
- Regularly conduct physical and electronic inventory of the mission and establish a system of identification and allocation of assets.
- In coordination with the security focal point, establish and implement appropriate security processes and procedures to safeguard all IOM inventories and assets.
- Solicit bids, quotations, and tender documents; oversee bidding process and provide support for procurement transactions, analyze them for conformity to specified requirements; conduct appraisals and select suppliers, and confirm terms of payments; prepare purchase orders and ensure receiving authorization by Chief of Mission.
- Perform vendor verification and market survey to secure cost-effective quality solutions for IOM’s procurement needs.
- Follow up on purchase orders (PO) status and keep the requesting party abreast of estimated time of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions; ensure all expected goods are received in accordance with PO specifications and in good condition.
- Formulate stockroom management practices, in order to ensure that stocks of supplies and materials are safe and accounted properly; control supply stock and monitor consumable materials, in order to be able to provide staff with ready access to common regularly used items and replenishment.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
a) takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) promotes continuous learning: communicates clearly; d) takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) displays mastery of subject matter; g) contributes to a collegial team environment; h) creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA); i) incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
a) Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations; b)effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners; c)Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance mission’s office objectives; d)follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement; e) Delivers on set objectives in strict deadlines; f) knowledge of procurement principles, processes and standards.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
a. Atleast a Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing and Supplies, Logistics or Business Administration.
b. Five years of professional work experience in Procurement and Logistics, preferably in a non-government organization or international humanitarian organizations or UN agencies.
c. Thorough understanding of IOM Procurement and Logistics policies, rules and regulations an added advantage.
d. Knowledge on Government requirements on duty exemptions.
e. Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP ERP a distinct advantage.
f. Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned.
g. Ability to pay close attention to details, take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
a. Teamwork oriented, capacity to work independently; Experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
b. Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and to keep deadlines.
c. Excellent communication and negotiation skills in managing vendors and suppliers.
d. Must have strong analytical, planning and people management skills.
e. Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email address firstname.lastname@example.org or before14 October, 2015.
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to The Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line VN2015_25 (O)-NATProcurement Assistant.
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted