The Place is a trademark of Smackers Limited, a company set up in 2003 to explore opportunities in the Food sector in Nigeria. Over time, the company has expanded it operations to include Nightclubbing, Hospitality, Farming and currently operates out of three locations: Isaac John GRA, Adeola Odeku Victoria Island and Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase one.
The company’s plan is to aggressively grow organically by establishing other outlets firstly focused on Lagos State (particularly the Island section of Lagos State) and other favourable locations such as Abuja and Port Harcourt.
Job Title: Procurement and Contracting Manager
Reporting to the Managing Director, the candidate will be responsible for coordinating all the procurement and contracting activities of the Company ensuring that top quality/ set standards are consistently achieved at least cost. We prefer someone who is rounded, versatile/ flexible, open-minded, creative and from an environment with strong integrity ethics.
The key functions will include but not limited to:
- Procurement of local food stuff/ farm products (goat, plantain, cattle meat, tomatoes, pepper onions etc)
- Procurement of frozen food products such as fish, prawns etc
- General procurement of consumables
- Air and ocean freight importation, tracking/ coordination and clearing of equipment, utensils and foreign consumables
- Contract execution, monitoring and evaluation for construction projects and support services such as security guard/ audit services provided by external companies
The candidate will have a key responsibility for constantly improving our procurement process. He/she will need to , on an ongoing basis, conduct extensive market research to determine better (low cost, top consistent quality) sources for the good and services that we use. The candidate will lead all efforts on reducing transactions with middle men and getting best deals direct from original source. The candidate will develop strategies to ensure reduction/ elimination of wastages/ thefts/ financial losses in all areas of procurement, ensure that all procurement activities are cost effective and the Company benefits from economies of scale.
In addition to providing oversight on procurement, the candidate will also provide oversight on the following areas:
- storekeeping/ warehousing functions, particularly ensuring that sufficient but not excessive stock items are maintained in all locations
- logistics/ management our fleet of pick-up trucks/ vans, for both inbound from suppliers to central location and outbound distribution to our multiple locations
- some basic central production/ conversion processes like our plantain ripening etc
Qualifications, experience and attributes
- A good first degree in any relevant discipline from a reputable institution.
- A relevant professional qualification is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in procurement preferably for restaurant business/ farm products at a managerial level. Or a management consultant with the aforementioned attributes.
- Must be intelligent, versatile, organized, hardworking, efficient, result-oriented
- Must possess unwavering integrity, strong sense/ skepticism for identifying control weaknesses and fraud, and firmness to always deal with fraud/ sharp practices in the company.
- Must be computer literate and familiar with the use of ERP software
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply