We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Plant Safety Manager
Job Reference: PSM/07/2015
Functional areas: Quality & Sustainability
Department: Quality & Sustainability
- To ensure the maintenance of a safe working environment/safe work conducts whilst complying with all relevant statutory and company regulations concerning occupational health and safety in the workplace Manage the operations of contractors and external visitors and ensure that they comply with safety guidelines.
- Advise on OHS trends and indicators.
- Develop programs and plans to achieve OHS objectives. Consult with external authorities and other industry/company experts in order to keep abreast of regulatory changes and industry best practice.
- Monitor and inspect fire infra facilities and ensure reliability in event of fire emergency.
- Conduct routine drills to test Emergency preparedness for all likely emergency scenarios. Provide first aid facilities and ensure that first Aid replaceable kits are up to date, available and accessible.
- Provide and maintain Walk ways and ensure that vehicle and Pedestrian walkways are not obstructed.
- Provide and maintain clearly marked muster and fire assembly points and ensure that they are always free of obstruction.
- Issue Work Permits for Hazardous tasks. Provide Timely logging of incidents and ensure closure in the IMCR Database.
- Provide PPE for workers and adequate storage facilities.
- Conduct inspection of forklift trucks and monitor the activities of forklift operators.
- Conduct safety inspections of material handling equipment.
- Ensure safe warehouse stacking of materials and finished products.
- Conduct toolbox talks and pep talks.
- Inspect all modifications and installation plant and equipment before commissioning.
- Conduct regular inspections and monitoring of the premises.
- Conduct Safety inspection of equipment including machine safeguarding, portable electrical devices.
- Conduct routine inspection of first aid kits and facilities.
- Develop, implement and maintain a Safety Management System on KORE and OHSAS 18001 Standards.
- Prioritise and provide advice in a timely manner on OHSAS 18001 implementation. Supervise the Plant’s Health and Safety program.
- Facilitate internal audits of the safety management systems.
- Seek out and/or provide Health & Safety problem solving ideas and solutions in response to issues identified that reflect best practice within the company or industry.
- Review all safety rules on a regular basis and, where necessary, recommend suitable changes. Investigate all accidents and damage to Plant property, identify root causes and recommend action to prevent re-occurrence.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of Safety reports to plant management and to Head office.
- Maintain accident records and other safety documentation.
Desired Candidate Profile
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Sciences and Professional Qualification in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Masters Degree and Membership of Safety Professional Body will be an added advantage.
- Production management experience within a beverage/soft drinks or similar process manufacturing company desirable.
- In depth knowledge of key Health & Safety practices and associated legislative requirements at national level essential.
- Ability to investigate and identify root causes behind H&S issues/incidents and develop pragmatic options for resolution.
- Project management skills.
- Good time management skills essential.
- Ability to organise and manage mixed ability teams in order to solve specific H&S related problems.
- Good awareness of organisational structures for effective ownership and management of Health & Safety; Job design; performance management.
- Audio/visual skills in presentation of information and training material are essential. Enthusiastic with the ability to drive and enforce standards and influence people.
- Ability to design and deliver training courses to all levels of employee desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop good relations at all levels both internally and externally.
- Experience needed – 5 years
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 17th July, 2015