Africa Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is the umbrella organization for applied epidemiology training, programs in Africa. It oversees the Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FETP) in 16 countries of Africa. FETP is modeled after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS). The main objective of AFENET through its FETP is to build and offer epidemiological services in the country for strengthening public health systems particularly disease surveillance and response, The program is partly funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). AFENET’s current focus is on interventions for the control of priority diseases in Nigeria, including HIV/AIDS.
Africa Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Laboratorian
- Registered laboratory personnel with prior laboratory experience (dried tube specimen collection and transportation, dried blood spot collection, handling and transportation) will be recruited for field-based laboratory work.
- The laboratory staff member will perform the blood draws and administer the HIV rapid tests.
- Pre-implementation training will focus on preparing participants for blood draw, specimen collection, processing, storage, and transportation, and use of rapid HIV tests and bio-safety procedures, ethics and confidentiality, and completion of survey data collection tools and data management.
- The laboratorians SOW shall also include supervision of the dispatch rider in sample packaging, transportation and delivery
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the teams to locate selected households in his/her community
- Ensures proper community entry.
- Opens, separates, numbers and arranges specimens for laboratory examination and trace results.
- Maintains simple laboratory records and inventory for supplies and reagents.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and supplies by cleaning and maintaining quality assurance records.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures.
- Candidate must possess a degree in Medical laboratory technology or related field
- Candidate must have minimum of 5years medical laboratory experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- Possess good phlebotomy skills including blood draw skills (both paediatric and adult respondents)
- Candidate must be able to collect and prepare dry blood spot s(DBS) samples
- Candidate must have prior laboratory experience in HIV related surveys
- Candidate must good leadership skills and team spirit
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply for this Position