The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation, shelter/NFI sectors.
NRC is therefore seeking for the position below:
Job Title: Team Leader – Centre for Monitoring and Communications
Location: Maiduguri Borno State
Commencement: As soon as possible
Contract period: 5 Months (with possibility of extension)
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, guidelines and procedures
- Overall supervision of the CMC.
- Direct supervision and training of CMC operators.
- Provide technical support to Communications Operators as required.
- Assist with preparation of guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the CMC.
- Assess status of the CMC and recommend upgrades as needed
- Facilitate the clear and timely flow of appropriate communication within the CMC and to the Security Coordinator and interface departments (eg. Logistics Department)
- Conduct daily checks of CMC equipment including communications equipment checks with Field staff – immediate reporting of equipment defects to Security Coordinator
- Continuous monitoring of the CMC email address
- Cover Communications Operator duties whenever required.
- Ensure proper use of CMC equipment.
- Ensure that correct communications / radio protocols and procedures are followed.
- Ensure that all Standard Operating Procedures for the CMC are followed.
- Monitor compliance by CMC users of related SOPs, including Travel Instructions and Maiduguri Field Security Procedures -provide feedback on same to Security Coordinator
- Carry out any other duties as delegated by the Security Coordinator and Management
- Relevant university degree, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri languages (minimum)
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Experience with start-up Monitoring and Communications projects
- Experience of working in a Communications Centre / Radio Room in a humanitarian context
- Knowledge of VHF / HF Radio Protocols and Procedures
- Previous experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- According to NRC’s directions
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their Application letter, updated CV and copy of a valid means of National Identification (Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card or Voter’s card) to the following e-mail address: [email protected] The title of the position you apply for (Team Leader – Centre for Monitoring and Communications – Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position
Application Deadline 15th August, 2016.