The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.In October 2015, NRC commenced emergency response programme activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors in North-Eastern Nigeria. In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. In light of existing humanitarian needs and the drive of continual provision of durable solution to affected displaced communities, NRC is therefore seeking WASH – Service Support Assistant (Community-based worker) in Farm – Centre community, Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Job Title: WASH – Service Support Assistant – Farm Centre – 10 positions
The WASH – Service Support Assistant reports to the WASH Officer.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, guidelines, procedures and SOP’s
• Conduct hygiene promotion campaign through door to door and focused group discussion methods within the IDP host community
• Advocate and train community leaders on community hygiene
• Working closely with water point committees in promoting WASH activities
• Involve and inform communities and community leaders about hygiene promotion activities
• Conduct hygiene promotion campaign through door to door and focused group discussion method
• Assist in the distribution of relevant IEC materials for hygiene promotion within the community.
• Ensure that NRC’s activities are conducted in line with best practice, guided by and effectively abide by the humanitarian principles
• Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
• Promote and share ideas for improvement
• Perform according to NRC’s programme strategy, work and development plan within the IDP host community
• Performs any other duty as requested by NRC Wash Officer
• Diploma in public/environmental health, social science, communication or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience
• Experience from working with hygiene promotion/communities mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
• Knowledge of Hygiene promotion messages among children, adult and people of old age
• Knowledge of beneficiary selection for NFI in humanitarian context (vulnerable groups within the affected area).
• Knowledge of appropriate use of IEC materials in promoting hygiene within the community
• Communication and mobilization skills
• Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
• Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
• Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage
• Knowledge of health problems related to sanitation in emergency situation and appropriate prevention strategies
• Understanding of cultural beliefs and practices
• Knowledge of hygiene promotion methods targeted at adults and children.
• Understanding of basic health messages and their limitations.
• Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
• Highest standards of ethics and integrity• Ability to work in insecure environments
• Communicating with impact and respect
• All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
• Commencement: September 2016
• Contract period: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
• Contract Type: Part time (Working Days – 2 days per week)
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
• Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State
- Interested and qualified candidates can submit applications in a sealed envelope with candidates’ name and position clearly indicated
- Application letter must be in candidate’s handwriting
- An updated C.V
- Copy of valid means of identification (Passport, Driver’s license, National Identity card or voter’s card)
- Copies of school certificates (Please do not send or submit your original certificates)
The Application package should be sent to:
Norwegian Refugee Council
Plot 08/10, Jimina Street, Off Damboa Road,
Maiduguri, Borno State.
Should you require directions to the office, you can call 07015386027 / 08101151470
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Deadline for application is August 15th, 2016 (Any application received after the deadline will not be considered).