Our company serves approximately 160 million people by producing and distributing a unique portfolio of quality brands, bringing passion to marketplace implementation, and demonstrating leadership in corporate social responsibility.
The Nigerian Bottling Company Limited is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Country Safety Manager
Job Reference: CSM/12/2015
Functional areas: Quality & Sustainability
Department: Quality & Sustainability
- The Country Safety Manager reports to the Head, Quality & Sustainability.
Purpose of the Job:
- To further Coca-Cola Hellenic’s commitment to improving Health and Safety (H&S) performance by advising senior country business managers on the practical implementation of group safety objectives, and on compliance with in-country H&S regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate development, implementation and maintenance of OHSAS 18001 certifiable management systems at site(s) level following overall direction provided by the group OHSAS Toolkit. Liaise with group H&S staff, and Property & Loss Risk managers.
- Prepare high quality weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual H&S reports for country and business managers and for input to the broader group statistics (including H&S metric performance measurement) and carry out routine analysis in order to identify trends and key areas for focused attention and remedial programs.
- Develop the professional competence of the site H&S Coordinators and provide coordination and guidance as needed.
The Key Responsibilities of the role are:
- Annually prepare/review draft Country Health & Safety Policy for management approval; including arrangements and organization for administration of routine national H&S activities.
- Plan and time management of own work to support delivery of functional strategy and prioritize to fit with the needs of other internal customers.
- Consult with external authorities and other industry/company experts in order to keep abreast of regulatory changes and industry best practice – provide advice to site coordinators as appropriate.
- Be aware of proposed changes to national Health and Safety laws/directives, internal policies potentially likely to be applicable etc. Review site level H&S Regulatory Compliance Registers annually. Review site level corrective action plans and progress arising from audit programmes (TCCC, OHSAS 18001, Cross border audits).
- Prioritize and provide advice in a timely manner on OHSAS 18001 implementation, and other group H&S Policy and Procedures.
- Provide quality control review of site level incident investigation reports for all serious injury accidents, corrective action plans and subsequent progress logs to ensure a sufficiently thorough investigation has taken place and that actions are timely, appropriate and completed with the intended results and in the intended timescale.
- Seek out and/or provide Health & Safety problem solving ideas and solutions in response to issues identified at national/site level that reflect best practice within the company or industry.
- Deliver work, recommendations and advice within budget and completed in a timely manner.
- Develop annual national/site H&S improvement programs and measurement targets based on analysis of key incident trends, audit recommendations etc. in consultation with employees and management teams. ‘’Review periodically.”
- Prepare high quality monthly, quarterly and annual H&S performance reports for country senior management team and for submission to group H&S function.
- Prepare and maintain performance statistics and carry out routine analysis in order to identify trends and patterns across the national business units. This should be delivered accurately and on time.
- Develop draft country level policies and procedures etc.
- Maintains close contact with internal customers, anticipates expectations and strives to improve customer satisfaction.
- Professional standards met in all regards while delivering high quality service.
- As required, use skills to the benefit of other sites within the group. Assist group functions via established working parties and task groups, presentation at internal conferences/meetings etc. when appropriate. Also cross-functionally at country level e.g. HR; PA&C; and SC.
- Promote the benefits of good standards of Occupational Health and Safety and look for continuous improvement opportunities across the national organizational structure. Work with local PA&C representative to promote and celebrate national and/or site H&S success by communication to the wider group community via submissions for the Journey magazine etc.
- Always leads by personal example, in particular when interacting with site level managers, supervisors and H&S Coordinators providing insights to drive performance improvement.
- High level of integrity and diligence applied to all activity and behaviour embracing CC Hellenic’s value & ethics requirements.
- Fully understands the difference between setting standards at a purely compliance level and the benefits of integrating new and best practice H&S initiatives within the line management organization.
- Fully understands CSR strategy and program, and promotes across national H&S Coordinator network.
- Works closely with Country PA&C representatives to provide H&S advice (and/or opportunities) within national CSR related activities.
- Provides national H&S input for annual group CSR report as requested.
- Promotes CCHellenic’s reputation as a responsible and ethical employer and the commitment to transparency and continuous improvement both with internal & external stakeholders.
- Develop collaborative relationships and represents CC Hellenics interests at meetings of relevant national institutions and industry experience sharing forums, TCCC etc.
- Liaise with specialist inspectors of the National Health & Safety Agency as required.
- Effective working relationships developed and maintained with manager, department colleagues, and other key internal contacts.
- Liaise with Group H&S manager regularly; and Property & Loss Insurance Risk Managers, to ensure that appropriate H&S and Loss Prevention standards and procedures are implemented and maintained.
- Uses networking skills (internally & externally) to keep current of latest H&S thinking and techniques that make things work/get things done.
- Work with the Country Supply Chain Services/Manufacturing/Quality team to identify and improve function deliverables to internal group customers and improve H&S performance.
- Seek annual feedback from within immediate internal customer base and integrate as appropriate into personal objectives and development/training plan in consultation with immediate line manager. Review objectives and development plan quarterly.
- Periodically review competency levels and identification of training needs for site level H&S coordinators (ongoing), including new and revised regulatory requirements, refresher training etc.
- Develop and maintain effective and efficient H&S Coordinator’s network at the countries operational manufacturing sites, in-company distribution networks & warehouses. Facilitate regular information and experience exchange for this group of people.
- Periodically review own competency levels and identification of broad H&S training needs, including new and revised regulatory requirements, refresher training etc.
- Conscientiously applies oneself to process of continuous learning, and openness to constructive feedback.
- Achieves and maintains membership status within National and/or International Institutions for Occupational Safety & Health via compliance within accredited continuing professional development programmes etc.
- Depth of knowledge continuously reviewed, along with breadth of subject matter and the exchange of information with reliable internal, and verifiable external sources.
Desired candidate profile
- B.Sc. or HND in Engineering, Physical / Biological Sciences or related field.
- Desired candidate must be a member ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria) Recognized Health & Safety qualification, meeting national legislative requirement where specified; and where not, sufficient to gain full or chartered membership of a professional H&S Institute such as the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health – IOSH; or The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management – IIRSM (e.g. minimum of NEBOSH International Diploma in Occupational Safety & Health) will be of added advantage.
- MBA would also be an added advantage
- Production management experience (Minimum of 8 years) within a beverage/soft drinks or similar process manufacturing company desirable.
- At least 5 years in a senior site Health and Safety management position.
- In depth knowledge of key Health & Safety practices and associated legislative requirements at national level essential.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop good relations at all levels both internally and externally.
- Post holder must be highly motivated and flexible in approach, with ability to prioritize, plan and implement his or her own work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent command of English language required – written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel within and outside the country.
- IT Literacy
- Ability to investigate and identify root causes behind H&S issues/incidents and develop pragmatic options for resolution.
- Project management skills.
- Good time management skills essential.
- Ability to organize and manage mixed ability teams in order to solve specific H&S related problems.
- Good awareness of organizational structures for effective ownership and management of Health& Safety; Job design; performance management.
- Audio/visual skills in presentation of information and training material are essential.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to drive and enforce standards and influence people.
- Ability to design and deliver training courses to all levels of employee desirable.
How to Apply
interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 15th December, 2015.