The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.We thank you for your interest in IITA and invite you to explore many exciting and diverse career opportunities in a work environment that enables you to be the best you can, advancing your professional and personal growth in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Join a vibrant team that is committed to facilitating agricultural solutions for hunger, poverty, and natural resource degradation throughout the tropics.IITA is an equal opportunity employer and consideration for employment is given to qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national/ethnic origin or social status.
IITA is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Data and Information Management Unit
Ref No: DDG-R4D/HDIM/08/16
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- IITA is recruiting a Head for the newly established Data and Information Management Unit. IITA is investing in order to be at the cutting edge of ICT and fully explore the potential of data and information management and its utilization/or use in agricultural research for development.
- We are thus looking for a highly experienced, motivated and visionary leader that can develop a strong, dynamic and efficient data and information management unit that will support, inspire and be well-integrated with the research teams as well as with other administrative support units.
- The Head of the unit reports to the Deputy Director General for Research for Development (R4D).
The mandate of the unit includes:
- ICT – hardware and infrastructure
- Development of and support for administrative databases and financial management information system (Oracle is the current solution)
- Management of institute repositories (e.g. bibliography, crop databases, spatial data, genetic resources, images etc)
- Implementation and management of institute web-based platform
- Leadership and support for transition to and full implementation of open access/open data
- Support to scientists in data management and data analysis
- Digital knowledge management
- The candidate should have a minimum of MSc or equivalent degree in relevant area
- At least 10 years experience in the area of data and information management
- Expertise in one or several of the unit’s mandate areas
- Demonstrated experience in successful organizational development
- Gender awareness
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment
- Fluency in English
- Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Job Title: Communication Specialist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/CS/A/08/16
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reporting Line: The Communication Specialist will report to the Managing Director of the ATTC Project.
- Lead the development and implementation of the communication strategy for the project to improve its visibility.
- Support the manufacturing and distribution companies of Aflasafe to develop and promote the aflasafe brand.
- Support the awareness creation component of the project.
- Develop and implement communication plans and campaigns to support ATTC project activities, and promote results and impact among investors/donors, partners, beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Lead all public events organized by the project such as launches, business meetings, products presentations, networking events.
- Capture and write up stories about ATTC work for a range of stakeholders and platforms in various formats including video, radio, stills, website and print publications.
- Generate/contribute written content and provide editing and quality control in the production of various publications and project documents such as progress reports, newsletters, annual highlights, R4D Review, among others
- Plan, edit and design a variety of print products/ publications using desktop publishing tools.
- Regularly monitor and report on website analytics to inform digital strategies online.
- Redesign the Aflasafe website, enrich content, provide editorial support and offer guidance to a widening pool of website contributors.
- Create and manage the project’s social media channels, uploading information and materials; monitoring comments and giving feedback.
- Mentor and train program staff in a variety of communications and digital media skills (e.g. social media, writing blogs, editorial style and guidelines, brand).
- The candidate should have a Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Arts.
- 5+ years of professional experience in corporate, or developmental communication; direct experience of working in private sector preferred.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Relevant experience with website production and maintenance, digital media production and management, and design.
- Relevant experience in the development and promotion of brands.
- Experience in designing and organizing high level business and advocacy/policy events.
- Good oral and written communication in French is an advantage.
- The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce, therefore female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 10th September, 2016.