The Cross River State Government is currently seeking the services of young qualified personnel to fill the below:
Job Title: Cadet
Location: Cross River
Nigeria’s forests reserve is fast depleting with about 90% already lost to deforestation. Cross River State is proud to be home to over 50% of the country’s remaining rain forest. The Cross River State Forest has been adjudged as one of 25 biodiversity hotspots in the world. Therefore, the State Government is desirous of ensuring sustainable economic value from the forests.
The goal is to harness its vantage position as the world’s second largest rain forest beginning with a shift from absolute conservation to an aggressive regeneration program which will entail massive afforestation and hybrid cross border financing.
The intention is to create pockets of efficiencies that mitigate abuses, trigger effective stakeholders’ engagement and activate out of the box opportunity ladder for the people of the State. The State Government’s vision within the renewed partnership with the United Nations REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation) programme is to create catalytic footprints in this space through a regimented afforestation initiative with a sustainable, community-based enforcement team – the Green Police.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A Green Police enforces environmental sustainability laws and regulations.
- Ensures drains, streets, verges, open areas, markets, abattoirs are kept in standard state.
- Promotes carbon equestration efforts.
- Refuse management and noise control.
- Ensures cleanliness of the city centres.
- Conducts environmental audits and patrols.
- Ensures environmental sanitation, and implement urban afforestation and tree planting.
- Implements the Green Carnival and Ball, monitors and controls all environmental activities.
The other functions of the Green Police include:
- Implementation of social safeguards for forest bearing communities.
- Implement city green capping.
- Stop the use of wood for scaffolding props and boarding for construction activities.
- effect the arrest of anybody who cuts down any tree in villages, towns and cities.
- Improve grass and forest cover.
- Check illegal lumbering activities.
- Nurse and nurture young plants.
- Prospective Green Police cadets would be required to pass an extensive background, mental and physical screening prior to participating in the 16-weeks academy (including field training experience) based on a curriculum co-developed with partners.
To be considered for recruitment, an applicant must:
- Be minimum of 18 years by October 1st, 2015; maximum of 30 years as at the date;
- Be a holder of OND or NCE qualification in addition to a credit pass in WAEC ordinary level English Language; and,
- Pass an independently conducted (written) recruitment test.
- In additional to being in an excellent physical condition, candidates must meet vision, hearing and other sensory perception standards.
- Maintaining a healthy physical regimen is a part of job performance upon becoming officer. Officers on graduation from the academy must
- Willing to accept assignment/postings to any location in State.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV’s in sealed envelope to:
The Cross River State Forestry Commission,
Cross River State.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted.
Application Closing Date
04:00pm – Monday, 17th August, 2015.