New Incentives is a US-based nonprofit committed to implementing health-related cash transfer programs to save lives in developing countries.
Operating in Nigeria, New Incentives gives pregnant women with at-risk pregnancies conditional cash transfers, which encourage them to follow medical advice and treatment so that their children are born healthy.
New Incentives is the world’s first and only nonprofit dedicated to Conditional Cash Transfers (CCTs). CCTs are small, predictable sums of money that individuals in need can earn after meeting various education and health benchmarks such as school attendance or clinic visits. In the case of New Incentives, your donation gives poor women with HIV or at-risk pregnancies in rural West Africa small stipends on the condition that they deliver at a health clinic and get required medications. The stipends allow the women to afford food, transport and other basic services. Hence, the CCTs not only prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV and neonatal mortality but also help to fight poverty. The stipends further strengthen the position of the mother and newborn in a family setting. Their health is no longer seen as a luxury but a smart investment.
Job Title: Field Volunteer
Non-profit New Incentives is looking to recruit a Field Volunteer to expand its team dedicated to preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) and maternal and newborn mortality in Cross River State, Nigeria.
The Field Volunteer will support New Incentives’ expanding program that utilizes cash transfers to encourage HIV-positive and at-risk pregnant women to seek treatment at public clinics. The program is operated in cooperation with the Ministry of Health in Cross River State. The primary duties in the role will be to enroll women in to the New Incentives program at select health facilities.
The Field Volunteer will be based in Cross River (must be based in or close to Ugep, Akpet Central, Itigidi or Ikot Okpora) and work at nearby clinics several times a week. This part-time position (approx. 3 full days per week) is available as of April/May 2016. The position may require occasional travel to Uyo in Akwa Ibom where the New Incentives head office is located.
Over the past years, Nigeria has considerably expanded the availability of health services for pregnant women. Despite this progress on the supply-side, demand from at-risk pregnant women remains low. New Incentives encourages these women to deliver their babies in a health facility with cash transfers and thereby ensures their babies are born safely. Women are given the cash transfers after they complete different stages of maternal health services. This massively increases the children’s chance of survival in the first few years of their life.
- Enrolling at-risk pregnant women to the cash transfer program at select clinics in Cross River State
- Have emotional aptitude and empathy to speak with women who just learned about their HIV-positive or at-risk pregnancy
- Assisting the Field Officer of New Incentives in Cross River with other duties related to the program
- Interviewing potential beneficiaries to verify whether they meet all requirements and entering this information into a database using mobile applications
- Verifying multiple data sources to ensure potential beneficiaries are eligible to participate in the program
Skills & RequirementsRequired Qualifications:
- Fluency in local dialects spoken in Cross River State. Please state the names of the dialects you can speak and your fluency level for each dialect in your cover letter.
- Nigerian national based in Cross River State (must be based in or close to Ugep, Akpet Central, Itigidi or Ikot Okpora)
- Female (while New Incentives is a non-discriminatory employer this position requires frequent access to antenatal wards which is limited to women)
- Passion to help others, prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission, and reduce maternal and infant mortality
- Very good communications and writing skills, English and dialects (verbal and written)
- Excellent responsiveness to email and phone requests
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel, internet browsers, smartphones and new communications technology in general
- Hard-working, result-oriented and loyal
- Motivation to work in a young organization that is constantly changing based on stakeholder feedback and operates with a lean structure
- Prior training and experience conducting HIV and pregnancy rapid tests
- Minimum of Higher National Diploma or Bachelor degree, preferably in the field of health or other natural sciences
- Experience with the Nigerian health system and clinic documentation, particularly related to maternal health, HIV/AIDS and/or PMTCT, desirable
- Experience in collecting, synthesizing and drawing conclusions from (health) data desirable
- Skilled in negotiation and careful attention to financial matters
- Detail-oriented, diligent professional
- Aptitude to deal with difficult emotional situations
Applications are accepted only online and must include the following attachments:
- One-page CV
- Brief letter of motivation (maximum of 300 words)
The selection process for this position is highly competitive. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates short-listed based on their online applications will have to undergo a series of interviews and a short test that allow for the identification of the most qualified person in a transparent and meritocratic manner.
The job comes with an attractive package and the opportunity to work with a foreign organization and the Ministry of Health. For questions please reach out to[email protected] with the subject line ‘Field Volunteer Cross River’.
To apply, Click Here. Please do NOT submit applications by email.