WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Professional Officer, EDM
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/15/FT537
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One year
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) / AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) HSS CLUSTER
Objectives of the Programme
- WHO Representative’s Office supports the formulation, implementation and evaluation of National Health For All strategies; develops and manages the Organization’s programme of technical co-operation at country level and coordinates the Organization’s activities with those of other collaborators and with the Government’s National Health Programme.
Description of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the HSS cluster lead he/she will:
- Facilitate the collaboration between EDM/AFRO and EDM/HQ and stakeholders in the pharmaceutical sector in the country to help develop, implement and monitor national drug policies and improve access to essential drugs for priority diseases such as HIV/AIDS; TB; Malaria.
- Help identify skills and projects carried out in the country that should be supported; actively contribute to strengthening of institutions and of human resources development programs for health care providers, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure multi-sector collaboration and assist the Ministry of Health in the co-ordination of partners involved in the pharmaceutical and traditional medicine sectors e.g. International agencies, NGOs and relevant networks to ensure an integrated and appropriate technical support to the country.
- Assist in the monitoring of the pharmaceutical sector and the assessment of problem areas and help define technical support to be provided; co-ordinate WHO technical input with Ministry of Health and with other stakeholders in the pharmaceutical sector including authorities responsible for Traditional Medicines.
- Perform other tasks as agreed with EDM/DAP and EDM/AFRO for the provision of technical support for the development, implementation and monitoring of national policies on drugs and traditional medicine in the country as well as in neighbouring countries as part of WHO sub-regional and regional strategy to country support in Africa.
- Essential: First university degree in Pharmacy
- Desirable: Postgraduate degree in pharmacy or public health
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector including medicine supply management, medicine management information systems, rational use of medicines ;
- Proven competency in appropriate training skills and operational research;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Essential: At least 5 years of practical experience in planning, implementing, monitoring and supervising essential drugs policy at national or regional/provincial or district level.
- Desirable: Prior experience in traditional medicine would be an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of other WHO official languages would be an advantage.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Annual Salary: (Net of tax)
At single rate
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline 28th October, 2015.