iROKOtv.com is the subsidiary company of IROKO Partners, the world’s largest online distributor of African entertainment. Launched in 2010, the company has closed on four Series of VC funding totalling $21Mn.
Across all of our channels, we have reached over 6Mn unique viewers in 178 countries around the world.
– iROKO Partners operates www.irokotv.com (Nollywood movies) and www.iroking.com (Nigerian music)
– IROKO Partners is the largest licensee of Nollywood movies with over 5,000 movie titles in our library
– The company has been featured in international media outlets from FT, CNN, BBC, The Sunday Times, CNBC Africa, Reuters, Fast Company, New York Times, Techcrunch, Wall Street Journal, Le Monde, Pando Daily and many many more.
Our office is based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the Mobile Developer Job Opening at iROKOtv.com
Job Position: Mobile Developer
We are looking for a mobile app developer to support the design, development and maintenance of Android and iPhone apps. The developer will provide support in the entire app lifecycle right from concept stage until delivery and post launch support. Apps will be mainly content based and integrated closely with the web sites. In addition to delivering the product the successful candidate will be heavily involved in driving the mobile strategy globally.
The Mobile Developer will be a member of our back end development team, working closely with our other fantastic front end and back end developers during every phase of your projects. Your job will be fun, challenging, and interesting.
The qualities we’re looking for:
- Support the lead iOS and/ or Android developer.
- Work closely with another mobile app developer leading the other platform development
- Deliver across the entire app life cycle –concept, design, build, deploy, test, release to app stores and support
- Work directly with developers and product managers to conceptualise, build, test and realise products
- Gather requirements around functionality and translate those requirements into elegant functional solutions
- Build prototypes at tech scoping stage of projects
- Work along the web developers to create and maintain a robust framework to support the apps
- Working with the front end developers to build the interface with focus on usability features
- Create compelling device specific user interfaces and experiences
- Standardize the platform and in some cases apps to deliver across multiple brands with minimal duplication of effort
- Optimise performance for the apps
- Keep up to date on the latest industry trends in the mobile technologies
- Explain technologies and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Attend industry events/ conference – both attending and presenting
- Proven commercial software development experience – desktop and mobile
- Published examples of mobile applications on the App store or the Android market
- Excellent knowledge in information architecture, human computer interaction and usability design principles
- A track record of delivering successful consumer and or business products
- Ability to use analytic data and user testing to inform design decision
- A passion for new consumer technology and the emerging media landscape
- Ability to multi task and good time management skills
- Ability to work on their own and as a part of the team
- Excellent scoping and estimation skills
- Excellent testing/ QA skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to liaise with various departments locally and internationally
Strong OO design and programming skills in Java (J2EE/ J2ME)
Familiar with the Android SDK
Knowledge of SQLite, MySQL or similar database management system
Familiar with Eclipse
Understanding of other compiled languages
Experience on web service integration (SOAP, REST, JSON, XML)
Experience of development using web technologies
Good understanding of OO programming and design patterns
Experience building web and native apps
Experience using social media APIs
Ads integration using a 3rd party ad server (DART)
Using version control (e.g. SVN)
Excellent debugging and optimisation skills
LAMP development experience
PHP frameworks (e.g. Zend)
PHP template engines (e.g. Smarty)
Creative design skills
Working with a content management system
Working in a media/ publishing environment
Qualities that would make you stand out
Experience with OTT development.
Experience with development for video delivery inclusive of subscription models
Experience with Analytics inclusive of Conviva, Google Analytics ( inclusive of session ids using GUID), and other similar Analytics platforms
Experience with OVP ( Video Platforms) and CDNs
Experience driving test driven development
Experience driving Agile environments
Experience with Amazon Web Services (Web Operations)
Experience with a team building Mobile Applications for Android and IOS – Familiarity with SDKs
You have a passion for the emerging market audiences specifically within Africa.
Experience in a start-up environment.
More about our company
iROKO is a well funded, VC-backed, growing start-up business. We are the fastest growing digital media company offering West African content globally. Our mission is to provide easier access and discovery of quality entertainment content to hundreds of millions of people on devices of their choice. , New York, and Lagos.
We encourage you to check out iROKOtv.com, iROKING.com, and our soon to launch mobile apps on Android and iPhone. iROKO Partners is one of the largest Internet group in West Africa; we have been featured in publications such as CNN, CNBC Africa, BBC, NY Times, Variety, Financial Times, Economist, The Sunday Times, The Times, Forbes, Techcrunch, Pandodaily and many others.
We are a dynamic, progressive and diversified online distribution company. We work out of an informal and funky office in Islington Borough. It has excellent transport links, in an area with some great lunching facilities and nice bars.
Our Tech stack?
On the front-end, we build standards-based websites with accessibility and flexibility in mind. We hand-code organised, structured HTML and CSS while enhancing the experience with things like jQuery using industry best-practices. If you’re bringing along some experience in these, it’s a bonus.
On the back-end we’re a PHP shop. We use MySQL, MVC, AWS, Linux, Apache, Nginx, Memcached, Ruby, Chef, Hubot and much more.
Why work for us?
Working on an exciting technical challenge (video in Africa!).
A diverse working environment (not your typical startup!).
A company that is young, agile and responsive to great ideas
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online