MIT-Empowering the Teachers (MIT-ETT) is a teaching-focused fellowship, offered by MIT- AFRICA together with its corporate partner NNPC/Total E& P Nigeria Ltd. MIT-ETT enables Nigerian faculty in science and engineering to experience a semester at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Selected fellows will observe instruction in their disciplines and work as a group under the guidance of MIT faculty member, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Professor Akintunde Ibitayo Akinwande to prepare innovative curricula and approaches to teaching that can be introduced into their home universities on their return.
- MIT-Empowering the Teachers will select up to nine outstanding young faculty fellows from the disciplines of electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, mechanical engineering and petroleum engineering from Nigerian universities to spend a semester at MIT in Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.
- The faculty selected to participate in the MIT-ETT program will spend a full semester at MIT observing classes similar to ones they themselves currently teach. They will work on new curricular materials and teaching approaches for adoption in their own classes. During their stay at MIT, they will participate regularly in at least two MIT subjects (including lectures, recitations and tutorials) that correspond to courses the faculty members teach at their home universities.
- Selected fellows will observe instruction in their disciplines and work as a group to prepare innovative curricula and approaches to teaching that can be introduced into their home universities on their return.
- MIT-Empowering the Teachers will cover the travel, living and instructional materials expenses of the participants. The home universities of the successful applicants will commit to provide paid leaves of absence during the period of the MIT program.
- They will attend twice-weekly MIT-Empowering the Teachers Seminar meetings, one which will focus on curriculum review and development led by Professor Akinwande.
MIT-ETT welcomes applications from all qualified faculty who are:
1) interested in developing new curriculum and teaching methods and consider themselves to be change-agents;
2) a faculty member holding a PhD and teach in a department corresponding to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering at a university in Nigeria;
3) Lecturer One rank. Applications will be thoroughly vetted.
- To apply, please visit: http://misti.mit.edu/empowering-teachers .
- Candidates will be interviewed in Abuja by MIT faculty and representatives from NNPC/Total E & P during the last week of January 2017. If selected for interviews, you will be notified of your date and time in early January 2017.
- Please send any questions to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Thursday December 1, 2016 8pmEST