Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation.
With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the logistics and purchasing of goods and services for country office in Abuja, Nigeria. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement and logistics activities are the prompt and effective provision of procurement and logistical solutions as well materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for facilitating the general aspects of Mercy Corps procurement and logistics operation. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics.
- The Procurement Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Functions
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities;
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR’s as assigned by supervisor – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specification and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- If, for any reason, one vendor/supplier is permitted to re-quote (submit a revised quotation), all competitors should be given the same opportunity. Re-quoting should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Procurement Officer;
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Assists the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required;
- Assists P&L management with asset management .Identify assets during the course of procurement The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Explain as clearly and fully possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Other duties assigned.
- Accountable for Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, Field Asset Management Manual, Fleet Management and Warehouse Management Policy Guidelines and other in-country policies and procedures in logistics and procurement management as well the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Reports Directly to:
- Senior Procurement Officer
Works Directly with:
- Finance team, Abuja based logistics and procurement staff
- Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operation staff regarding procurement planning and activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant Business field is desired
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs especially in MS excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in Operations, admin, logistics, supply chain management; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skill
How to Apply
Applicants should submit CVs and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to:[email protected]
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position