Mercy Corps is an international development organization that helps people around the world survive and thrive during crisis and natural disaster. Mercy Corps seek to engage interested and qualified candidate for the position of MEL Assistant to work with ENGINE project. The MEL Assistant will work with the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) unit and provide support for all aspects of monitoring, evaluation, data management and research.
Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Household Economic Strengthening Manager
- The Household Economic Strengthening Manager will play an important role in the implementation of a five-year program in Northern Nigeria supporting the capacity of Nigerian institutions to scale up care and support services for Orphans and Vulnerable Orphans (OVC) households.
General Position Summary
- The Household Economic Strengthening Manager will provide overall technical direction on Household Economic Strengthening of the program that is funded by USAID and managed by the lead grant holder– Save the Children.
- S/he will facilitate relationships between households caring for OVC and public and private sector actors by identifying economic constraints and ensuring appropriate activities that have long-term viability.
- Emphasis will be placed on market-oriented strategies to ensure sustainability of livelihood gains, including: private sector demand-driven job creation, enterprise development, financial education, value chain linkages and appropriate savings, credit and insurance services for various age groups.
- The Household Economic Strengthening Manager will work closely with Save the Children, counterparts with other donor funded programs, and private sector actors in designing and implementing innovative economic strengthening and livelihoods support approaches.
- S/he will assist with the development of innovative economic strengthening strategies for vulnerable households to compliment other Nigerian government, private sector and international donor funded program interventions by strengthening the capacity of Nigerian entities (NGOs, CSO, local financial institutions).
- S/he will guide a portfolio of approaches and activities that mitigate economic vulnerability and enable targeted households to better cope with economic shocks allowing them to protect and grow financial, human and social assets.
Essential Job Functions
Program Management and Technical Oversight:
- Work closely with counterparts in other NGOs, donor organizations, and other stakeholder groups to re-design, plan, and implement a comprehensive OVC program.
- Provide technical support in one or more of the following areas: market-driven economic development, private sector engagement, microfinance, youth-focused financial services, financial education, village savings and loan associations (VSLA), micro-insurance, entrepreneurship development, and value chain linkages. Manage implementation of program activities, developing work plans in collaboration with counterparts in other organizations, monitoring implementation, and evaluating impact.
Operations and Management:
- Oversee the smooth flow of routine project operations in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
Representation and Coordination:
- Liaise with private sector actors, local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, local religious leaders and other notables to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps’ programs.
- Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners (banks, training institutes, insurance companies, and microfinance institutions), including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as assigned.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to ensure that program is contributing to and responding to safety and security plans and procedures.
- Ensure that program is implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- This position will manage several short-term consultants.
Reports Directly To:
- Country Director, Mercy Corps Nigeria; on day to day matters reports to STEER Program Director in Kaduna.
Works Directly with:
- Mercy Corps Nigeria team, STEER/Save the Children Program Director, Organizational Development Director
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/S in Business, Finance, Economics, Agriculture, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or related field
- Fluency in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Strong desire for applicants with fluency in Hausa.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Previous experience in Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience in training, capacity building of partners and team members.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members required
- Highly developed computers skills with strong familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel are mandatory.
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work throughout Nigeria.
- At least 5 years work experience with for profit organization, non-governmental organization (NGO) or for-profit agribusiness working with vulnerable, marginalized groups in West Africa, preferably Nigeria
- Proven knowledge of international best practices of household economic strengthening for OVC and OVC caregivers.
- At least 5 years proven experience in innovative value chain development or business models using best practices.
- Proven experience in one or more of the following: market-driven economic development, private sector engagement, microfinance, village savings and loan associations (VSLA), micro-insurance, entrepreneurship development, and value chain linkages.
- A successful candidate will have strong diplomacy skills in managing a team with different backgrounds, abilities, and technical knowledge and will have contextual knowledge of Northern Nigeria.
- She/he will use effective communication and team-building techniques, have excellent organizational and strong interpersonal skills and display an even temperament and good sense of humour.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions:
- The Economic Strengthening Advisor will be based in Abuja and work collaboratively with the Save the Children, Nigeria with frequent travel to the states of Kano, Sokoto, Bauchi, and Plateau
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application and CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position applied for as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 10th August, 2016.